3rd Party Magsafe Power Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SamIchi, Mar 18, 2011.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'm looking to get a 3rd party magsafe power adapter for my 2011 MBP. Are the older ones compatible ("L" style vs "T")?

I got a 3rd party for my old macbook off ebay, and it's worked fine.

Any experiences or reccomendations?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any 3rd party adapters. Use only Apple adapters and batteries.

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Have you had bad experiences with 3rd party power adapters? Or heard bad things?

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I used a $25 third party magsafe adapter for about 9 months without any issues at all. I literally just bought a new magsafe adapter from Apple last week, because I had the money to spare, and because I wanted the new L-type connector.

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I have, picked one up from Amazon. All the lights lit up like it was working, but it never outputted voltage and subsequently never charged the battery. Fortunately Amazon took the return, I just bought genuine from there. I was doing the "aww, I'll save a few bucks" thing too, and thought "it's only a power adapter". Clearly I was wrong.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, many have reported problems with non-Apple adapters. While some have had success with them, I'm not willing to risk my Mac for the sake of saving a few dollars on a non-Apple adapter. If something goes wrong while using an Apple adapter, warranty or AppleCare will cover it. If I use a 3rd party product, I'm on my own.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I too have had problems with non-apple magsafe power adapters. It was the flakiest thing I ever used. I've bought many items off of ebay including batteries and chargers, but it seems like every "fake" power supply (whether it's Dell, Apple, Lenovo, etc.) have all given me problems. I just buy branded power supplies now.

8. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Well I just bought one for 25 bucks on ebay, I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I've had a good one for the past year with my macbook, I'll try my chances again.

9. hystery macrumors member

I wish I could get T-shaped one the old one. L one's hard to handle and just doesn't make sense except for certain situation... and because it's not plastic now, the plug and uni-body scratch each other...

10. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

My understanding is that there technically isn't a such thing as a 3rd party MagSafe adapter because the MagSafe is a patented design that Apple does not license for manufacture by 3rd parties. I don't remember the name of the company, but Apple recently stopped a 3rd party company from producing products using MagSafe connectors. Also, as others have already mentioned the internet is littered with negative experiences of using 3rd party "MagSafe" power adapters. I'd say in this case the real deal is worth it.

11. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

For those who are interested, I bought the cheapest one off ebay for $25. Got it today and have been using it. I don't see any short term problems. Everything seems to be kosher. Checked all the power voltage and watss seems to be the same.

The brick is a little bit larger, but I'm not moving it around so it's fine. I bought an extra one so I don't have to bring it to school everyday.

I had a 3rd party for my old MacBook, and I never had a problem with it. My authentic Apple one had the wire start tearing apart (for my old MB), because I brought it to and from school everyday. It was a good investment.