3rd Party Mail with MobileMe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by calabi, Jun 16, 2008.

1. calabi macrumors regular

just a quick question, i love the idea of mobile me, but i'd what to do it with my premium e-mail account, will apple support the use of a 3rd e-mail account with mobile me? what do you guys recon?

2. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

It would be nice, although there has been nothing said about that yet.

I wouldn't hold your breath for it.

You should be able to forward your email from another account to your .me account.

What would be nice is to be able to choose a different email domain name when responding to email. That way it wouldn't look like it was being sent from wildcardd@me.com but instead wildcardd@wildcardd.com

3. calabi thread starter macrumors regular

it would be nice, but i doubt we'd get that feature either. i really don't know if i can move to a .me account. Do you think you'd be able to use all the mobileme features for everything but mail, then setup an imap to custom account?

4. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

I believe that is the way I am going to do it. Have my email's forwarded to my mobile me account. Then, also setup my other non push account in the iPhone. When I need to respond to something, simply go to the non-Push account and reply.

Push is nice, but not absolutely necessary.

I want to be able to sync my calendars though.

When mobile me is released, sign up for the 60 day trial and see how it works for you.

5. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

So far the only thing you can do on .mac is forward your email messages to the .mac email.

Probably the same for MobileMe.

But then again, the Push screen in the Settings seems to make out that the other email accounts can push provided their server has one.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The more important features of MobileMe for me are push and OTA syncing calendar/contacts. Unless MobileMe allows me to link my gmail account as the primary account, I plan to set up both MobileMe and Gmail accounts in iPhone and not forward/retrieve mail in MobileMe (leaving it empty). If someone or I need to forward an immediate email to iPhone, this can be done using the .me/.mac address. But, realistically, if someone needs to contact me immediately, texting (rather than email) serves this purpose.

7. Jowl macrumors 6502

I've just been googling this - and have submitted .mac feedback asking for such a feature. I irge you to do the same if you need it!

I intend to forward all my main to the me.com account - but I need to be able to 'send as'.

8. imac george macrumors member

imac george

Gmail and yahoo premium can be accessed via your dot mac account.

9. b1gted macrumors regular

b1gted

Me too, the ability to setup a "reply-as" in the iphone email settings is a must for me to get a mobileme account.

10. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

They didn't mean receiving Gmail and Yahoo.

They meant using MobileMe to send an email, but instead of it being from @me.com, it'd be from the @gmail or @yahoo.

11. Jowl macrumors 6502

I've just read (on iLounge I think) that with Mail in 10.5.3 you can now change who you send 'FROM'

I don't use mail (yet) but this sounds promising.

12. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Choosing a different from address is a very important feature to me.

• You can do it on the iPhone when setting up a manual IMAP account.
    • You can also do it in Apple Mail when setting up an IMAP account.
    • You can not do it in .Mac, though I have had some webmails that let you verify the requested from-address and then use it - yahoo is one.
    • .Mac does let you create 5 alias addresses, but they are setup to use the .mac domain which doesn't cut it.

13. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

This is quite a big issue for me. I really want mobileme for all its features except email. It would be awesome if if could get my email for me and push it over to my handset. Sadly, doesn't look like it will :(