3rd Party Mini Displayport to VGA Adapter Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by minky1234, Nov 23, 2009.

1. minky1234 macrumors newbie

I own a late 2008 Aluminium Macbook

I bought a 3rd Party (Non Apple) mini displayport to vga adapter off ebay because I refused to pay ridiculous amount for an apple branded one.

Turns out that I'm getting the flickering problem every 15 mins, where the screen goes black for a second then comes back on.

The firmware update doesn't work either because it says it cannot find a mini displayport even though it is plugged in.

Any ideas?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

May be due to it being a knockoff...?

If you want what should be a quality 3rd party solution hit up www.monoprice.com The firmware update IIRC is for the chip(s) in the adapter, not the computer, so that's why you can't update yours.

3. minky1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I go to the apple store and buy a apple branded adapter the firmware update should work right?

4. minky1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

weird, I changed the resolution on my 21.6" Acer Monitor from 1680 x 1050 to 1440 x 900 and the screen doesn't flicker..maybe the chip is needed inside the vga adapters to output higher resolutions...

5. mosx macrumors 65816

Definitely an issue with the adapter.

I have an Apple branded mini-DisplayPort to VGA adapter for my late 2008 unibody MacBook. It used to drive my desktop display at 1920x1080. But now I have a monoprice.com mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that was just a little over $10 and it works great, provides full HDCP support too.