3rd party mp3 players for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by 0sync0, Aug 17, 2010.

1. 0sync0 macrumors regular

I installed mplayer from Cydia and it doesn't run. Are there any mp3 players that work with the iPad?

2. Zodiak macrumors regular

from what I understand itunes doesnt copy over the music files the same way as you find them on your computer. itunes sends them over fragmented, for security reasons maybe.

There may be others but the only other that I know of, which i use to play my music from time to time or identify/find new music is Soundhound which you can find on the app store, which I believe has a free and paid version. I have the paid version.

The app allows you to ID music as you listen/sing/hum the song while it is detecting it. it also allows you to play your music and suggest other bands or songs you may like.

3. 0sync0 thread starter macrumors regular

I want to avoid syncing with iTunes. So I guess SoundHound won't help me.

4. Zodiak macrumors regular

dtunes should be able to play mp3 files that you download that dont come through the itunes store. I've used that before.

5. 0sync0 thread starter macrumors regular

I already have mp3s on my computer and I don't see how to get them into dtunes.

The thing I want to avoid is usb syncing. I got Wifi Sync and now I can sync itunes with wifi.

6. Zodiak macrumors regular

Here is what you do :)

I asume your jailbroken since you posted in this channel.

1. go into itunes and uncheck the option to launch and sync itunes automatically when you connect your device

2. download dtunes from cydia
    3. i use ifile as a browser for my ipad http://www.i-funbox.com/
    4. Navigate to /var/mobile/library/downloads
    5. Dump all of your mp3 files here :)
    6. Launch dtunes from your ipad! :D

7. 0sync0 thread starter macrumors regular

That sounds good. I don't have a downloads folder in/var/mobile/library. I don't see any way to create folders in ifile.

8. Zodiak macrumors regular

There might not be any until you download something. You can create one yourself if you use ifunbox or you can download iFile to your computer which is like an onboard file browser and you can create one. Files on apple devices are case sensitive so make sure you call it Downloads.

Inside you can create a folder called Music and put your mp3s there so that any video and music remain seperate.

You can also put movies in the Downloads folder which you can view with dtunes or MobileTheater which you can find in cydia.

9. 0sync0 thread starter macrumors regular

I have ifile but just remembered it is the free version with limited functionality.

10. Zodiak macrumors regular

Then

connect with your usb syncing cable
    download ifunbox
    navigate to the Downloads folder or create it
    dump all of your mp3 files

Just make sure that your not running itunes isnt running.