3rd Party Password App for Mac ??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fab5freddy, Jun 21, 2008.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Is there a Good 3rd Party App for Managing Website Passwords ??

I am going nuts trying to manage all my passwords on 3 different Macs ..!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

3. jsgreen macrumors 6502

1Password is good

Splash makes a password manager too, called SplashID. If you have a PC, I don't think 1Password will work, whereas SplashID has versions for either platform.

That being said, I prefer 1Password for the auto-fill features, which Splash is sorely lacking.

4. r88my macrumors regular

5. northerngit macrumors member

6. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

7. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

8. DaveF macrumors 6502a

SplashID without hesitation. I've been using it for six years on Palm, Windows, and now OS X. For all-purpose personal data management -- passwords, bank websites, credit card info, it can't be beat.

I bought and tried 1passwd, but I simply don't understand it. It seems intended solely for web passwords and not for the complete range of personal data I manage with SplashID.

9. dws90 macrumors regular

I also used SplashID for many years, but I recently switched to 1passsword when my Palm died.

The advantage 1password has over SplashID is browser integration. While you can certainly store your web passwords in SplashID, you have to manually open the application, look up the password, then copy/paste it into your browser. With 1password, you can simply press Apple + \ while on the webpage, and it'll automatically fill in your password for you.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

roboform has free version too.

for OP. firefox itself is a nice password app.

11. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I really like 1Password as well. I got my iMac in January and I have to say that the only two aps that I got from the MacHeist bundle that are programs that I need and would buy are 1Password and Pixelmater.

12. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

1Password is absolutely worth the $30 or so. I hate buying software where free software will do, but I'm glad I sprang for it.

13. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

You can go to the iSlayer site and click on a link to get 20% off 1Password. It's really nice when you get an invite to my1Password to go with it.

14. DaveF macrumors 6502a

That was the part of 1passwd I didn't understand. My browser (Firefox) automatically tracks passwords, so I only need to manually copy it once and it's done. And the method to get 1passwd to apply passwords to the browser was incomprehensible to me. It seemed much harder than copying from SplashID.

I guess I'm unusual in this, but 1passwd made no sense to me and seemed very complicated compared to SplashID.

15. e.m. macrumors 6502

Wow, lot's of people like 1Password.

I use Password Wallet. Pastor is also good as a freeware option.

16. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Next to Time Machine, 1Password is, hands-down, the most important application I have installed. It's an absolute dream come true. One app that I wouldn't want to live without. I'd give up anything in the iLife suite, or any of my Apple pro apps (I've got 'em all), before I'd give up 1Password.

I store my passwords in one place: 1Password. I can store them from Firefox, Safari and Camino. There are others, but these are the only browsers I use. I can access them from Firefox, Safari and Camino.

Since the data is stored in the keychain, I can sync all my passwords to my other Macs via .Mac syncing.

This thing even syncs to the iPhone, and 3rd party apps aren't even available on the iPhone yet.

Multiple logins for the same site: Check.

Multiple wallets: Check.

Multiple identities: Check.

Password creation: Check.

Secure notes: Check. This is actually the most important one for me. No matter how much time and effort a software developer puts into creating pre-determined data fields, nobody is ever going to get it perfect. There will always be data that doesn't fit the standard mold. I use secure notes for keep track of hosting account data, where I have sever addresses, multiple databases (each with their own names, usernames and passwords), etc.

Another thing I really like is when you view your passwords. They show up starred out (********), but you can still copy them to your clipboard. You can see them if you want to, but you go into edit mode to do so. Just an extra level of security.

To use it correctly, turn password remembering off in all your browsers, and let 1Password handle it all. That way, if you use multiple browsers (or, like me, are constantly switching because you can't decide which is your favorite), all those passwords are available in all browsers.

17. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Hehe. Always Firefox :p

To be honest, I don't like the FF password manager. Things aren't stored in the keychain, and if you want to protect these passwords, you need ANOTHER master password :(

I find 1password the best, it means you can have 1password for ALL your passwords and it syncs them between browsers etc.

18. Future Blues macrumors member

Another vote for 1password. It changed the way I used the internet and I wouldn't go a second without it now.

19. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I use Steel.app

It works well, and can even encrypt the password file. There's different sorting methods and stuff in it aswell.

I caution you -- it's shareware. You will eventually need to purchase it for a small price.

http://gravityapps.com/steel/

20. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

thanks for all the replies!

It looks like i will try 1password.

21. Cantello macrumors member

Picking up this thread...

Does anyone know a Mac password manager that would sync to a Symbian phone (Nokia E51 in my case)?

Apart from SplashID, if possible, the latest version for Symbian is not really acceptable (nearly no updates in two years and still buggy).

22. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Even though everyone else has said this, 1Password is absolutely PERFECT. It's 100% flawless. It works ALWAYS. It has NEVER crashed.

I would HIGHLY recommend it.

23. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Am I mistaken in thinking that the price has increased $10 in the last year? 1Password used to be $30 did it not? Still worth every penny in either case. Love being able to sync my computer with my iPod touch.