3rd Party Power Adapter for 13" MBP (Or will old 15" one work?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CrazedVW, Aug 17, 2009.

1. CrazedVW macrumors member

CrazedVW

I need to pick up a second power adapter for my 13" MacBook Pro to keep in my bag to take with me to work. I don't particularly want to spend the $75ish for an Apple one if I can avoid it. Is there a decent cheaper 3rd party adapter out there that works well?

Also, I kept my spare 85w adapter from my late 2006 15" MacBook Pro when I sold it to buy the 13". I know in the past you couldn't use higher wattage power adapters with lower wattage notebooks. Is that still true? Or can I just use my old one with my new machine?

2. djasmooth macrumors member

I don't really know nearly as much as the guys here do, but I'm still going to add in my 2 cents..

If I were you, I would spend the 75 dollars with Apple rather than a 3rd party one. When it comes to power, I never trusted any of the 3rd party companies. I used to deal with cell phones a lot and people used to buy these 5 dollar chargers and their motherboard would be fried. Of course there are probably some good 3rd party companies but to me it's not really worth it..

3. assassinm4 macrumors member

it's about the maximum power that the computer can draw from the transformer, so you'll be fine even u charge iphone/ macbook air with mbp's 85watt charger.
    and there is no 3rd party manufacturer for magsafe chargers as apple holds all the patent and would not authorize outsourcing

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I've been using the same 15" MBP charger for my 13" MBP & MBA with no problems. I don't think you have a problem going down in charger wattage, it's using the MBA to charge the 15" that has issues.