Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spetznatz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
There's been a slight increase in noise since I installed my 3rd-party RAM with heatspreaders, and I'd like my Mac Pro to run as quiet as possible, so I've had a look at these:

http://www.thecoolingshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/619

Has anyone got any experiences with them? Copper or Aluminium? Any suggestions for placement? These are 5mm deep so should I fit them front and back?

I'm assuming it would be better to place them with the grooves horizontal to better channel the airflow from the fans.

I'm sure some manufacturers must produce heatsinks of the same dimensions as Apple's -- I just can't find any.

damado

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
I have 4 copper ones on each of mine. I believe for metal to metal copper is better, but metal to air aluminum is better. I just bought the only ones newegg had in stock at the time.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004

nickgwyn

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
So what ram should I buy, and if it doesn't come with heat sinks, which should I buy?

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
Personally, I'd hold off until someone tested the memory running small copper heatsinks on the outside of the aluminum heatspreader.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Speaking of which, anyone try MaxSinks? Looking at my Kingston memory the stock heat spreader is removable. In theory one could get just about any memory, remove the default spreader, and put on a MaxSink.

tridentuk

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2006
These look very much like the original heatsinks Abulia, but by the time you add the price of a set to the cheaper ( Kingston/Samsung) types of memory, they will add up to the same price as the Crucial/Apple sticks.
Lets hope that the price of these or the memory falls quickly to give us more buying options.

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Nice find, Abulia!

As you know I'm trying the route with the little attachable heatsinks onto the stock heatspreader from Kingston. But the MaxSinks look very good, and for $84.99 for a pair, that's still cheaper than Apple/Crucial/OWC ram if added to Kingstons.

I will keep monitoring my heat levels / errors on my kingstons. If I start experiencing anything, then 1) I will post here and let everyone know. and 2) will try these MaxSinks.

THanks!

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
suneohair said:
Wow talk about price gouging on those heatsinks.

Ram is going up a bit as well. Kingston 1gb FB-dimm from Newegg was $180.99 when I purchased. Now at $197.99

Interesting that the pricing for the MaxSink heatsinks, if added to the Kingstons, come up to just a little under $499, the current price for Apple/Crucial/OWC ram w/larger heatsinks.

I think these companies know that our choices are limited when it comes to FB-DIMM upgrades. :mad:

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Currently, I don't think generic RAM + MaxSinks are a cost-saving option. Once RAM prices hopefully drop and have met supply, we'll hopefully have more options?

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
FB-DIMMs aren't going to be a commodity item any time soon (or ever, if Intel's moving to a different RAM platform in 2008). DDR2 (and other types before it) dropped in price because of demand from large segments of the computer population speeding production.

That demand doesn't exist for FB-DIMMs - it's Mac Pros and high-end servers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.