3rd party screen vs iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KingJosh, Mar 3, 2012.

1. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

I have been in thought for the past week and a half about what to do with my current situation.

I own the Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) and it is starting to feel a bit sluggish. I would need more ram(currently at 6GB in 1GB modules) and probably an SSD. Problem is the RAM for mac pro 2008 model is mega expensive because of the heat sinks. It is actually almost 3 times cheaper to get current iMac ram today vs the MP3,1. The only SSD I can install in my current MP is a 3G speed one.

So I was thinking about selling my MP and getting the next iMac when it releases for a substantial upgrade in performance. I would max it out with RAM and give it a 6G SSD.

This leads me to the question.
    I am a graphic designer and digital painter and I am not sure about colour accuracy on the iMac screens. Do you think it would be more wise for me to hold out with my current MP 2008 and buy a 3rd party (nec, dell etc) screen or go ahead and upgrade my whole system with a nice all in one (space saving would be a bonus too).

I guess if I go the 3rd party screen route it would force me off the Mac OS in a year or two and push me to a Windows computer. Reason is I don't want to shell out for another Mac Pro it is too expensive for my needs. The mac mini is too weak for my needs. Would be no sense to buy an iMac which suites my needs (performance wise) because I would be paying for another screen.

Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks:eek:

2. MyMcMac macrumors member

If you replace your HDD with a ssd you will notice a speed increase, no matter if is a very fast or fast ssd.

Is RAM really your limiting factor, or is it the CPU?

Apple Displays very very good. But they are not build to be the best of the best for graphic designers. For that you should take an Eizo or Nec if color accuracy is important for you.

I do not know the current prices, but an iMac + external display can be cheaper than a Mac Pro.

3. KingJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

KingJosh

Thanks for that!

You have given me a nice option.

4. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

5. KingJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

KingJosh

Yep that would be the one I am waiting for if I choose the imac route. Thanks

6. mthemh44 macrumors newbie

Mac mini?

why not just go for the new mac mini with a nice external display?

7. Bill.the.Cat macrumors member

Build a Hackintosh. Seriously, it's dead easy now; if you choose compatible hardware it's arguably easier than doing a windows install.

In addition to saving a lot of money, you also have an easy upgrade path. You have a huge selection of CPU, video cards, etc. The downside is that, at first, you may need to tinker a little. However, the tools and information out there now make the process really very easy. Spending a little extra on compatible LAN card and USB audio makes the process flawless in my experience.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I am a graphic designer and digital painter and I am not sure about colour accuracy on the iMac screens."

The iMac will support the display you're using right now with the Mac Pro....

So if you're unsure about color accuracy on the iMac, you can still have the iMac -and- the screen you're currently using.

9. KingJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

KingJosh

I work for someone else and use their equipment. At home my display not too great lol

----------

mini not powerful enough for my needs