Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archdelux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Are there any 3rd party smart covers other than the miniot cover? Obviously there are a lot of cases with magnets but just wondering if anyone has tried making cheaper versions of apples smart cover..apples product seems to be pretty cheaply made (not saying badly made just cheap).. So just wondering if 3rd party manufacturers have tried to tap into that market yet..

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
Nope. Apple patented the technology so 3rd party developers can not use it. Same with the MagSafe adapter on the macbooks, there are no 3rd party magsafe adapters.

steleven9

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
i ordered one from macally that i do not like. apple gave me a free smart cover due shipping delays and it blows the macally away.

archdelux

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Nope. Apple patented the technology so 3rd party developers can not use it. Same with the MagSafe adapter on the macbooks, there are no 3rd party magsafe adapters.

But then what's with the miniot? I imagine it is because that company is outside of the purview of US patents..so theoretically companies based outside e us can make those kinds of cases, right?

Anyway, you answered my question though--thanks. Looks like there aren't any other ones out there now..

patrickj

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Texas
There are quite a few around. Just a few off the top of my head:

This one from Yoobao: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/03/a-fully-protective-ipad-2-case-that-emulates-the-apple-smart-cov/

The STM Skinny: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/stm-skinny-for-ipad-2/

The Marware CEO Hybrid: http://www.marware.com/ipad-cases-and-covers/ipad-2-covers/c-e-o-hybrid-ipad-2-case

This one from Hard Candy: http://www.hardcandycases.com/white-street-skin-ipad-2-case.html

There's also one from Pad & Quill. Another from Vaja Cases. Another from Orbino. And probably quite a few more that I'm not aware of.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I don't think the lack of "smart cover" like covers (not cases as others have linked) has so much to do with patents as it does interest. I think most case makers realize it's probably not going to be very profitable to make something similar to what the smart cover already does, even if it's different. Which is why I think we are seeing Smart Cover like "cases" instead of just the cover. That way they can say they are giving you what the smart cover does, but more.

Anyways, DRO concepts has a carbon fiber smart cover available for pre-order.

http://droconcepts.com/iPad2/carbon-fiber-ipad-2-case-cover.html

patrickj

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Texas
I don't think the lack of "smart cover" like covers (not cases as others have linked) has so much to do with patents as it does interest. I think most case makers realize it's probably not going to be very profitable to make something similar to what the smart cover already does, even if it's different. Which is why I think we are seeing Smart Cover like "cases" instead of just the cover. That way they can say they are giving you what the smart cover does, but more.

I agree. I know for myself, and most people I've talked to about this, the ideal is to find cases that offer more like full protection but have the smart cover tech. It also helps to have a back cover that stays in place rather than have to hold the smart cover up when it's folded back.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
I just bought the new iPad and I want a new smart cover. Has any decent third party covers come out since this thread was made a year ago?

Dealwagon

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2011
Look on ebay. I bought a black "leather" ugh plastic smart cover clone. Looks just like the apple leather, only its plastic (like the cheaper apple smart covers). Works perfect on the ipad 2.

When I got the ipad 3, the on off failed to work. I cut out the smart cover magnet, reversed it, and put it back in. Works perfect now.

It was like 12 shipped on ebay.

The one on newegg looks to be a good option.

FarSky

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
I'm looking for a good third-party smart cover as well (just the smart cover, no back). I have a navy leather one and a sky blue poly one (both seem to work fine with my iPad 3), but I'm not crazy about Apple's choice of blues (I'd greatly prefer a steel blue). Mainly, though, I'm just looking at options...

I like the DRO one here, but I can't tell if it works with the iPad 3, and they're not returning my tweets or emails asking the question, so that's not really trust-inspiring.

http://droconcepts.com/iPad2/carbon-fiber-ipad-2-case-cover.html

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
Canada
Look on ebay. I bought a black "leather" ugh plastic smart cover clone. Looks just like the apple leather, only its plastic (like the cheaper apple smart covers). Works perfect on the ipad 2.

When I got the ipad 3, the on off failed to work. I cut out the smart cover magnet, reversed it, and put it back in. Works perfect now.

It was like 12 shipped on ebay.

The one on newegg looks to be a good option.

I got a red poly smart cover clone from eBay, works great and magnets are functional.
I think this would be more durable than apples own red leather one.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Appreciate all the replies! ;) I looked around online and found an unused navy blue one (original) on a Danish site owned by eBay. It cost $58 incl. shipping, and a new one is like $100 over here so I'm satisfied

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
nope. Apple patented the technology so 3rd party developers can not use it. Same with the magsafe adapter on the macbooks, there are no 3rd party magsafe adapters.

Note true.

----------

I bought this and it works with the ipad 3:

Click me

If you want leather, well there are some listing on ebay for around $30 but I emailed them and the open close feature does not work. They are going to let me know when new ones are available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.