3rd party software after Snow Leopard upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andyx181x, Aug 24, 2009.

1. andyx181x macrumors regular

andyx181x

Hey there guys, I'm still running 10.4.11 and now seeing 10.6 is coming out I'm interested in upgrading. I'm just curious to know will my ilife 08', Toast Titanium, and big time 3rd party software like: Transmission, mac the ripper, handbrake, MAME OS X still work? I understand the case when you need the OS to run the better application, but does it still work the other way around? I have no doubt that they will be working on the 10.6 versions but I would still like to be able to run these programs, also my office 08

2. dmbfan41 macrumors regular

3. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

If your running Tiger, your not going to be able to get the $30 upgrade. You'll have to buy the Mac Box Set that comes with iLife and iWork 09 and SL.

4. andyx181x thread starter macrumors regular

andyx181x

Can you please explain why? What would happen if I tried to install it without the ilife and iwork update?

5. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

that's a good question!

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Most likely the disc will have some sort of check that determines whether or not your system has Leopard on it. If it doesn't, you just won't be able to install it and you'll get a nice little popup saying "OS X cannot be installed on this machine." Kind of similar to how system restore discs only work on the machine they ship with.

7. andyx181x thread starter macrumors regular

andyx181x

However no one knows that for sure, I mean apple could be trying to get some extra cash by telling me I need I ilife 09 and iwork09, i don't see why it would stop installing the program just because I don't have the software up to date.

Then it makes wonder, is ilife/iwork 09 mean't for 10.6? If it is then wouldn't you have to install that after 10.6?

8. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Your are misunderstanding. The only way to upgrade from Tiger directly to Snow Leopard is with the Boxed Set which includes iWork and iLife 09.

9. reubs macrumors 68000

Ah, great to see that Quicksilver still works with SL! However, some of my most-relied upon apps appear to be glitchy; hopefully that gets taken care of shortly after release w/o too much out of pocket expense!

10. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

11. andyx181x thread starter macrumors regular

andyx181x

i still don't understand, why do i need the additional software? Really I can't just install snow leopard directly? I really doubt I need the update of ilife and iwork. 30 bucks compared to 169?

12. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Yes, but if you never bought Leopard, then you would have paid $129 for it. Then the upgrade to Snow Leopard is $30. That equals $169. iLife and iWork are bundled in for free.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Why not just upgrade to Leopard, have that for a while and then Snow Leopard, it will ensure that all of the third-party apps you need are updated. Also, most of the big ones should be fine, plug-ins - a tad different.

14. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

You don't need the software. Apple is just choosing to sell it this way.

Your math is off. iLife and iWork are bundled for a whole $11. :D

15. andyx181x thread starter macrumors regular

andyx181x

Finally this all make sense to me, now I wonder if in the future apple will make a full fledge operating system instead of an upgrade. I been reading that a lot of apple stores are returning the 10.5 operating system back to apple, so meaning guys like me can't be it from the stores. Well ebay/amazon here I come, I'll just work with it for a while then upgrade.

or piratebay everything........