3rd party -+ software prices

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shk718, Jul 7, 2008.

1. shk718 macrumors 65816

i was looking at handango today and the prices of software for the blackberry, windows mobile, palm... are outrageous $50 for an all in one messenger $30 for skype, pdf viewer $60. So far all of the pre announced prices for the iphone are quite a bit less than this. i know Steve Jobs has been aiming for the $10 - $20 range so just like he fixed the MP3 music industry hopefully he will get his way and fix the mobile application industry!!! The record companies may hate him but he is definitely pro consumer.

2. tucker101uk macrumors member

I agree -

Seeing mobile apps sell for the almost the price of a desktop app is unreasonable.

Hopefully SJ will realise this and keep the price of the apps low....

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Apple has nothing to do with deciding how much the apps will cost (except any apps they may develop themselves). The developers decide on the cost, and since Apple takes a 30% cut I don't think they'll mind if the developers charge a bit more than some people think they should.

If I deem an app worthy of it's price, I'll buy it plain and simple. The iPhone userbase will help decide what the average price for apps will be by voting with their wallets.

4. DreamPod macrumors 65816

One thing to keep in mind is that Handango keeps 40% of each sale. Apple only keeps 30%, so iPhone prices can be lower without the developer losing money. That 10% different might not seem like much, but that $50 Handango app could sell for $42 on the iPhone with the developer making about the same amount of money.