3rd party SSD in 2011 Macs = freeze ?

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Hi all

i am wondering if there is still this freeze issue with 3rd party SSD on the 2011 Macs or does it happen only with some specific MBP ?

i am hesitating between getting a 15" MBP or a Mac Mini + TB ACD

and upgrading it with a SSD

but as i cannot find clear info about this freeze issue, i don't want to make the wrong choice

thanks

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Hi all

i am wondering if there is still this freeze issue with 3rd party SSD on the 2011 Macs or does it happen only with some specific MBP ?

i am hesitating between getting a 15" MBP or a Mac Mini + TB ACD

and upgrading it with a SSD

but as i cannot find clear info about this freeze issue, i don't want to make the wrong choice

thanks
I've used Intel SSDs in all my Macs for months with no freezes.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
I've used Intel SSDs in all my Macs for months with no freezes.
Ok so i probably should avoid so-called high performance ssd like crucial m4 or vertex 3 and focus on more reliable ssd like intel

Any specific model for 2011 macs or can i go for the 510 serie?

Thanks

kustardking

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
New York
Ok so i probably should avoid so-called high performance ssd like crucial m4 or vertex 3 and focus on more reliable ssd like intel

Any specific model for 2011 macs or can i go for the 510 serie?

Thanks
I recently bought a macmini and swapped in a spare 64GB X25-E. The mini would always stall for 30 or so seconds upon waking up, and freeze completely within a day of use. After an OS reinstall did nothing, I put the factory original HD back in. Now, everything is normal. I didn't bother exploring it further; it's my wife's machine, and she doesn't demand anything of it.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
I recently bought a macmini and swapped in a spare 64GB X25-E. The mini would always stall for 30 or so seconds upon waking up, and freeze completely within a day of use. After an OS reinstall did nothing, I put the factory original HD back in. Now, everything is normal. I didn't bother exploring it further; it's my wife's machine, and she doesn't demand anything of it.
X25 is sata2

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
after reading reviews of the Samsung 810 SSD, and feedbacks here about the Intel 510, considering the recent issues of Crucial M4 (and the necessity of update the firmware), it seems like more reliable and safe to go for a Samsung or an Intel SSD

- Intel SSD: reliable, works fine, but a bit pricey
- Samsung: excellent bang for the buck, like Intel 510, no performance deterioration over time

clearly not the 2 fastest but the figures are purely max theorical transfer rates

i guess that to avoid beachballs or freezes, going for these 2 SSD is the the right choice

what do you think?