3rd party streaming apps

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bigalke45, Sep 25, 2017.

1. bigalke45 macrumors newbie

I am interesting in upgrading to the LTE Apple Watch from the original, but my main want from the LTE is to be able to stream radio apps like iheartradio or Sirius xm while I am running. Does anyone know if this is possible? Will those apps need to be updated if so, or do they already work without having to bring my iPhone on runs?

Thanks for the help

2. bigalke45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nobody know this? I would have thought a lot of people are looking for this feature.

3. Bob190 macrumors 6502

Possible sure...

Currently available .. none.

Yes, they will need to be updated, and Apple will need to allow it.

As of today, you still can't even stream Apple Music over LTE.

For me, I am most looking forward to Pandora being updated for streaming .. but I am not expecting it anytime soon.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Possible? Sure. Need to be updated? Sure, no current apps have this capability. When? No idea, nobody's said anything other than regarding Apple Music.

As for SiriusXM, they don't even have any watch app at all last I checked. Has that changed?

5. SamGabbay, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Currently there are no streaming apps because of serious API Limitations. As we speak, I just created an app that plays songs from SoundCloud API.

The problem is the format. The WK[WatchKit]AudioFilePlayer Class only allows WAV of AIFF formats to be played back. Leaving out the ever so important MP3 format.

I will keep you guys updated if you want.

Edit: Turns out MP3 files are okay!

Sam

6. Cnasty macrumors 68040

Cnasty

I really hope Audible gets an app soon for the LTE as I listen to audiobooks nonstop when working out and this would be a HUGE win for me.

7. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Okay well that was easier than expected...

Sam

Attached Files: