Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mizzoucat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
My first iPad Air had a black piece of dust trapped under the glass in the middle of the screen...My second iPad Air had several notched grooves in the aluminum body (like a machine had grasped it too tightly or something)...My third iPad Air had a dead pixel. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Coming from an iPad 3, I can't really say I was all too impressed anyways. The speed is definitely better but the quality is certainly lacking (defects or not). Maybe I'll hold out for a mini.

Thepoobear

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
My first iPad Air had a black piece of dust trapped under the glass in the middle of the screen...My second iPad Air had several notched grooves in the aluminum body (like a machine had grasped it too tightly or something)...My third iPad Air had a dead pixel. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Coming from an iPad 3, I can't really say I was all too impressed anyways. The speed is definitely better but the quality is certainly lacking (defects or not). Maybe I'll hold out for a mini.
Probably better to wait for later production runs rather than these rushed ones.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Probably better to wait for later production runs rather than these rushed ones.

I don't have any issues with my new iPad Air. What makes you think that these units were "rushed"? Defective units can and do happen at any point in a production timeline, and saying units that were purchased early were rushed is a histrionic way to view things.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK

These 'rushed' ones started being built in August from what I've seen on here.

Hardly rushed. Personally wouldn't expect it to get better over time.

Thepoobear

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
Most of the defect products come in the first wave of manufacture. Doesn't mean that 90% are bad, but your chances of getting a bad one are likely highest right now.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
The only thing that was rushed with mine was me getting to the store.

+1 hahhaah

Anyways I know what your going through. Back when I was a die hard Blackberry fan (yeah, remember those days?) I always had issues. The trick is to go to a different store in your area and hope that the store received a different and better batch of shipments

The problem you are having is probably just an issue with the entire batch of shipments

Since there is no supply issue with the ipad air and apple store doesn't receive shipments on weekends, it only makes sense that you have an ipad from the same batch

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Rinse and repeat with every product launch..

Next time he will be posting the same thing just itll be the mini.

----------

That is why I sit in the store and while it is restoring from back up i inspect the device fully. They wouldve just exchanged it until they got it right. There are always these bugs to work out at launch.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Dead pixel?

No... perhaps that pixel had already heard about your difficulties with other Air's and simply was shy in meeting you.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
These 'rushed' ones started being built in August from what I've seen on here.

Hardly rushed. Personally wouldn't expect it to get better over time.
"rushed" was perhaps not the poster's best choice of words. However with every manufacturing process, units early in a production run generally display more defects than later ones.

I've found that waiting 3-4 months after an iPad's release date results in a greater probability of a defect-free unit. Sometimes it takes that long for Apple to acknowledge that an issue exists and have their manufacturing contractors make the necessary tweaks.

ada-lovelace

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
Same problem

It's reassuring to know that I was not wrong in thinking that having dusts and stuck pixel weren't acceptable.

Had similar issue with OP.

1st Air - 2 dusts (1 of them was refracting the light - i.e. rainbow colour as light goes through it) and also a clump of stuck pixels.

2nd Air (decided to open at the store) - Dead pixel (noticeable on black + R + G +B)

3rd Air (again decided to open at the store) - Similar as 2nd.

Decided to take the gift card instead of full refund, thought it would be easier as I am planning to get one anyway. But will either try later this week, of wait for the production batch to rotate a little. Which brings me the question...

How can one tell a new batch is around? Or do you just wait for a week or so?

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
It's nuts how many people are having this many issues with defects. Makes me grateful I was one of the lucky ones!

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
It's nuts how many people are having this many issues with defects. Makes me grateful I was one of the lucky ones!

As it has been said many times before. People who don't have any issues rarely make a point to say anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.