3TB drive hooked up to Home Network router....

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Xultar, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I want to partition the drive part Mac & part PC

And I want the pcs to access their side and the Mac to access its side.

Has anyone done that? Can we talk?

2. simsaladimbamba

Due to the HDD connected to a router, the HDD does not need special formatting for Mac OS X and Windows, as the router translates between HDD and client, just like when you file share between Windows and Mac OS X.
    What exact router and what exact HDD do you have? Maybe that can help? Or have you already looked at the manual of the router?

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Get a Synology or QNAP NAS. Make sure it can handle your drive first.

4. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I have one of the netgear gigabit wnr3500l that is supposed to handle a hdd. I found a 3tb Wd drive for $119.

----------

I think that may be a bit over my head. I know about NAS drives but they are expensive and I'm not sure about taking that step yet.

5. simsaladimbamba

Can you be more specific, please?
    The model number of the router should be visible on the router itself or even the packaging. The same goes for the HDD.
    Anyway, I suppose the HDD has a USB interface and the router has USB port?
    Have you looked at the manual of your router yet?

6. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

Yes. I was just wondering if anyone had done anything like this at their house? What was their experience? Speed for streaming music and for wireless backups.

I've already read the manual. I've had the router for almost a year. I just got my Mac so I just wanted to see what I'm in for. I'm not at home with my equipment. I just wanted to have a conversation.

7. simsaladimbamba

Then yes, it is possible, I did it with my AEBS and some USB HDDs, but the speed was abysmal when transferring large chunks of data (10s, 100s of GB).

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I have the WNDR3700 and its USB drive is very basic (format it with Linux to EXT3).
    I have a Synology DS110j as a NAS, there is no comparison. It offers much much much more than the WNDRs simple shared drive.

9. Xultar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I decided to wait and do it right with a better router and a wireless storage case that can take 2 1TB hard drives. I'll just back up on a WD portable now. It hurts my head to think about it.