3TB Drive won't format!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dopeyman, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

Specs: 2011 27" iMac i7 8GB RAM....

Ok, so I just replaced the internal 1TB with a Seagate 3TB, but it won't initialize the "proper" way..

I get this error:

[​IMG]

I have to go through the "partition" route... Is this normal for a large drive?

And here's another kicker: Shouldn't the fans spin to max cause I replaced the internal drive? This iMac had the GPU replaced via the recall a couple months ago... With that being said, I was experimenting in changing the internal drives before Apple replaced the GPU and the fans revved up... So this is the second time I've opened it up since I've gotten it back.. The first time was to add an SSD..

Anyone else experience this??? :confused:

2. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

What's wrong with partioning it with a single partition?

3. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, TBH, I've never formatted a drive like that... I've always gone through the erase disk method...

Just wanna make sure this drive is good to go via the partition way...

Also, any comment on the fan(s) issue?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If the fan speeds up, there's probably something wrong with the temperature sensor in the bay. Some people have reported this issues when replacing with a third party drive. Probably related to the SMART as well (not sure though).

That's why I stick to Apple OEMs when I upgraded the drive in my 15" MBP. I used a Samsung 840 Pro (same as the stock SSD in the 2012 rMBPs).

Normally you should be able to erase it through the Erase tab, but since there's something fishy with your one...

5. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I always do it the partition way. Just choose 1 partition and make sure it's set to GUID partition table, normally this is set by default.

As far as the fan noise, if you reinserted the sensor back on the replacement disk, this might have taken care of the issue.

You can always checkout iStat Menus and see what speed the fans are running and if they're running at all.

6. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

No... The fans should speed up cause it's not an Apple OEM drive.. I think they're NOT spinning because there might be a faulty sensor....

Which sensor? There's only 2 cables (SATA/Power) for the internal drive...

My iStat Menus fans is set to default:

[​IMG]

7. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

From the looks of it, I'd say the fan is running for the HDD, but I could be wrong.

[​IMG]

8. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup.. I noticed that also...

Well.. It's been up and running for about an hour... Fans are still "silent"... But just in case, I purchased the SATA/POWER cable from OWC that takes care of the fan issue when replacing the internal drive and it's just sitting here...

If anything, I'll probably send it back....

If anyone running iStat Menus on the same machine is me, can you please tell me at what rate your fans are spinning?? Thanks!!

I'll update this thread if any changes...

9. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you have Filevault turned on? If you do, that is what causes the volumes to look like that and it is normal.

11. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope.. I don't have it on....

But I did find this link..... Seems that there's a problem with disk utility...

If Apple knew there was a problem with it with Mountain Lion, why didn't they fix it with Mavericks???

Attached Files:

12. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apparently there are lots of people with issues on having anything larger than 2TB... There's a few fixes out there, but none that are convenient...

I guess my only option is to get a 2TB drive and switch it out with the 3TB... Bummer!!! :mad:

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I recall reading about an issue with larger than 2TB drives in 10.8.4, but like you... I thought it was fixed. I know in ML if you put the drive in an external enclosure it could properly formatted then put back internally and it would work fine. Do you have an external enclosure you can pop it in to reformat?

14. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I have a bunch of both 3TB and 4TB drives, no issues formatting/repartitioning at all...

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are they internal? The previous issue was with internals only.

16. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do have an external enclosure I can use to format it... I guess I'll try that... LOL.. It's just the hassle of opening and closing this machine....

That's what I was thinking as well... He might be referring to his Pro, not the iMac...

17. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update - The drive was still acting funny in my iMac and wouldn't allow me to install BootCamp....

So I got a 2TB drive, put that in the iMac and put the 3TB into my Time Capsule...

Everything is now running smooth...