3TB Seagate GoFlex with 10.10?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by ianjh, Sep 8, 2014.

1. ianjh macrumors newbie

I've loaded the Public Beta, all works ok except my 3TB drive is not showing in finder but shows in Disc Utility. I have loaded the Seagate 'fix' included on the USB drive - that fixed it with 10.9 but not 10.10.

I have searched fro a fix to no avail - any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian
    Norfolk UK

2. asriznet macrumors regular

do you have a screenshot of what it says in disk utility?

3. ianjh thread starter macrumors newbie

Screen Shot

Thanks for your response - screenshot attached.

Attached Files:

4. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Does it work on the same computer system with Mavericks loaded instead of Yosemite?

Never mind, reread the 1st post.

5. ianjh thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,
    Yes shows upon Finder and Disc Utility with Mavericks. In Disc Utility the only difference i can note is that in Mavericks Partion Map Scheme is 'Guid Partition Table' whereas in Yosemite it reads as 'Master Boot Record. Mavericks - screenshot attached.

Just for information, iMac mid 2010 i5 with 8gb, the internal drive is faulty and I have been running for about a year via FW800 External Drive 2TB with 2 partions Mavericks/Yosemite as shown on attachment. The Seagate driver for MAC for over 3TB fixed it for Mountain Lion and Mavericks?

Thanks Ian

Attached Files:

6. asriznet macrumors regular

Have you tried running First Aid -> Verify/Repair disk in Yosemite, if yes was it successful?

7. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I find it strange that you need ANY 3rd party software as a prerequisite for using the drive with OSX.

I use 4TB externals of the same drive with my system and no additional software is required. Did you format the drive (GUID / HFS+) before putting it into service? Have you tried a different USB port?

8. ianjh thread starter macrumors newbie

I have run Verify Disc - there are no problems reported.

The software - ‘Seagate Thunderbolt driver for Mac.pkg’ cam with the Seagate Thunderbolt Adaptor. I am not able to use Thunderbolt with my iMac mind 2010 hence USB.

Just to emphasis my post above, I have recently formatted a Seagate 2TB drive connected FW800 - 2 partitions each formatted as boot partition -

On one partition i have installed 10.9 and updated to 10.9.4 the 3TB USB drive would not mount, so as previously I applied the Seagate for Thunderbolt driver and the 3TB Seagate drive then mounts and appears in Finder etc.

I then installed 10.10 on the other partition, the 3TB drive did not mount so I applied the Seagate for Thunderbolt driver and the drive does not mount!

Drive is formatted as GUID/HFS+ - Mac OS Extended Journaled.

Thanks Ian

9. asriznet macrumors regular

Verify disk may work on the physical drive but did u also verified disk when clicked the partition? Because the screenshots shows that the partitions are not mounting. I'm thinking the drives are not getting enough power.

I would try to disconnect as much USB connections as possible to isolate further.