Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Since the software update, I'm experiencing one-way audio when I make outbound calls. I can hear the party I am calling, but they are unable to hear me. This is an intermittent issue. Drving me totally nuts! Anyone else?

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Telling Apple is one thing, but I'm trying to see if "it's just me". If so, then I will go to the Apple store and try to get a replacement.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Telling Apple is one thing, but I'm trying to see if "it's just me". If so, then I will go to the Apple store and try to get a replacement.

Could you have the proximity issue and inadvertently muting the phone?

Conversely, have you tried an app that uses the microphone to see if it is working (VoicePlus, Talking Tom, etc.).

Have you tried turning your phone off and then back on?

Good luck!

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Definitely not the proximity sensor. Happens on BT calls as well. I did install a few more apps right after the upgrade. I wouldn't imagine an app causing this issue.

I did restart the phone. Since it is intermittent, it's hard to pinpoint.

I was most curious to see if I was the only one. I guess I am so far.

I will be near the Apple store tomorrow and I'll stop in and see what they say.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Definitely not the proximity sensor. Happens on BT calls as well. I did install a few more apps right after the upgrade. I wouldn't imagine an app causing this issue.

I did restart the phone. Since it is intermittent, it's hard to pinpoint.

I was most curious to see if I was the only one. I guess I am so far.

I will be near the Apple store tomorrow and I'll stop in and see what they say.

If you're absolutely sure it's not the sensor, then I'd suspect the network.

One-way audio on any cellular network happen with some regularity, for a variety of reasons. I've had one-way audio on just about every major provider here in the states, it happens.

Next time this happens, just make another call without a reboot or any other action, see what happens.

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
While I agree that it could be the network, in this case the issue began immediately after the 4.0.1 update and did not exist prior.

The issue happened with multiple call attempts one right after another yesterday. I was going nuts trying to make an important call.

Subsequently, I did reboot the phone and made a few test calls and have not seen the issue since. That said, the problem is (or hopefully was) intermittent. So I can't confirm if the reboot solved the issue.

So far, so good today but only a few calls made today.

The purpose of the post was to see if it was a widespread issue noticed by more people than just myself. Glad to see that appears to not be the case.

CMS1980

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Having the Same Issue

JKrutch: I just got my Iphone 3G replaced with a factory new one (due to a crack in the casing). Although it worked excruciatingly slow after being upgraded to OS 4.0 (those problems have been detailed at length elsewhere), the calls were fine. Literally right after I upgraded to 4.0.1, I started having the intermittent one way audio issue. Sometimes it was fine, sometimes my calls started fine then deteriorated, and sometimes no one could hear me from the start. It seems to be totally random when it happens.

Did you ever figure out what happened to yours?

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Are you guys saying the other party can't hear you at all or can't understand you clearly?

There are a lot of people having issues with Bluetooth (myself included) where your voice will sound extremely muffled to the other party. It's intermittent and definitely doesn't happen on every call. Pretty frustrating if you're on your iPhone 4-6 hours/day for work though!

Here's a link to that thread. The problem isn't getting much press on this forum however.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2481487&start=0&tstart=0

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
JKrutch: I just got my Iphone 3G replaced with a factory new one (due to a crack in the casing). Although it worked excruciatingly slow after being upgraded to OS 4.0 (those problems have been detailed at length elsewhere), the calls were fine. Literally right after I upgraded to 4.0.1, I started having the intermittent one way audio issue. Sometimes it was fine, sometimes my calls started fine then deteriorated, and sometimes no one could hear me from the start. It seems to be totally random when it happens.

Did you ever figure out what happened to yours?

All I can say is that I believe the issue was linked to the CNBC RT app. Supposedly not possible, I believe this app was the root cause of the issue. Since deleting it, I have not experienced any one-way audio issues. I will reload it and see what happens. Standby for an update in a few days.

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Are you guys saying the other party can't hear you at all or can't understand you clearly?

There are a lot of people having issues with Bluetooth (myself included) where your voice will sound extremely muffled to the other party. It's intermittent and definitely doesn't happen on every call. Pretty frustrating if you're on your iPhone 4-6 hours/day for work though!

Here's a link to that thread. The problem isn't getting much press on this forum however.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2481487&start=0&tstart=0

Aliph (Jawbone manufacturer) is aware of the issue and apparently working with Apple and AT&T to figure out and resolve. Hopefully sooner than later. This is not related to the one-way audio issue as that problem happens w/ and w/o BT being used.

CMS1980

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Well, I'm not using bluetooth and I don't have that app, so I've got no idea whats going on. I'm gonna ask a "genius" about it today and I'm sure they will have no idea and that I won't be able to replicate the problem when in the store. I'll let you know if I hear anything different from them.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
revival because of similar issues

I'm going to revive this thread.

Both my wife and I have been having intermittent, but fairly often one-way audio problems with out iPhone 4's on AT&T. For me, its usually when somebody else calls me, I can't hear anything (phone only, no headset). I think its gone the other way with me calling them and then only one of us hearing. I'm trying to pinpoint whether its the iPhones or AT&T's network. I never had this problem in the past (been with AT&T for the past 8 years) and i haven't heard of any of my friends without iPhones with the same problem. Just for reference, i am running an iPhone 4 on 4.0.1.

ikarus79m

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2006
Same issues here!!! Bluetooth audio is muffled for the person on the other side of the call. This seems to be widespread!!!

Here's a video that actually demonstrates the issue with the muffled sound:

http://tap4.us/z3e

Apple really needs to fix this!

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Same issues here!!! Bluetooth audio is muffled for the person on the other side of the call. This seems to be widespread!!!

Here's a video that actually demonstrates the issue with the muffled sound:

http://tap4.us/z3e

Apple really needs to fix this!

I am currently experiencing this issue. I've had ATT/iPhone since the original one and this is the first time I'm running into this issue. Currently using an iPhone 4 running 4.0.1.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
On the phone with ATT now and they said it's the mic. Explained that skype, FaceTime, and voice memo all work fine, but they still want me to have apple check it out.

I was getting ready to wipe my device as a last resort by sending it in. So I pluggged it into my MBP and synced it. Before the restore process, I figured I'd try it one more time and sure enough it's working now. So all my phone needed was a reboot then sync.

Hope that works for others.

cadillac1234

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
I had that happen to me for the first time over my Toyota's bluetooth. Kept pressing HANDSFREE but nothing worked. Soft reset fixed it.

Wife's iPhone 4 was having the muffled sound problem over her MBZ Bluetooth. 4.1update fixed it

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
I was getting ready to wipe my device as a last resort by sending it in. So I pluggged it into my MBP and synced it. Before the restore process, I figured I'd try it one more time and sure enough it's working now. So all my phone needed was a reboot then sync.

Hope that works for others.

Still having the problems. Even updated to 4.1 with no luck. Gonna try a hardware swap with Apple now.

NightK1ll

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
Resolution?

Did anyone ever come up w/ a solution to this? I'm running IOS 4.3.5 and continue to have this issue.. One thing different is, sometimes the end caller hears loud static on my side.. I've restored, soft reset, hard reset and restored from a previous backup.. And still the exact same issue. I have noticed that if I lay it flat on the desk, I have a higher chance of the end callers hearing me... Anyone else have this?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.