4.0.2 JB to 4.1 standard install

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AdamA9, Oct 23, 2010.

1. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Guys,

I'm restoring an old 3G from 4.0.2 (which is Jailbroken), to 4.1 but not jailbreaking it. How simple is this to do. Do I just update in iTunes and it will wipe the JB? I don't need it JB anymore really.

Thanks
    :)

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Personally, I'd erase everything and then upgrade. If you start from a clean slate, you have less issues.

3. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Are you serious?
    Restore in itunes.

5. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

And when it asks, "Set up as new" rather than "restore from back up"

6. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes never had to restore a phone to new before.

Thanks. I'm assuming I can re-sync and I will get all my apps and stuff back?

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've never had to reformat my Mac, but with a little reading I could figure it out. My incredulousness stems from the fact that I thought you had at least done some prior research beforehand.
    If you're doing a clean install for bringing into apple, don't restore from backup. If it's for yourself, make sure you have a backup. Look in preferences and pick devices. If you don't have a recent backup, right click on your phone and choose backup.

8. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

If you set up as new, then all your apps and music will be back.

But all personal data will be wiped. This includes game data, SMS history, call history and the like.

If you really need to keep ALL of that, then you will need to restore from a back up. HOwever, if the back up you restore from came from a JB iPhone (i.e. you backed up your phone when it was JB'd), there will be certain things that carry over. Log files (that you can't see) and most significantly, any changes you made with MIM.