4.0.2 update failed, unknown error.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MyRomeo, Aug 11, 2010.

1. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Just went to update my iphone 4 (32gb) from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2 to be greeted yet again with 'update failed, unknown error' followed by iphone in recovery mode.

Now, my 3GS did this on 4.0 and 4.0.1, my 4 has done this on 4.0.1 and now 4.0.2.

I dont mind, I have backups but I also have 16gb+ of audio.

What is going on? is this something with my laptop or a fault with ios4 updates? Im running latest, 32 bit version of itunes on windows 7.

I've tried restoring and updating twice now unsuccesfully... Anyone advise?

2. microcolt macrumors regular

Make sure your using a REAL apple iPhone connector, the white cord with the little icon on the connector end.

A.K.A. the one that came with your iPhone.

3. Dany M macrumors 6502

4. MyRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

there was an error number but the troubleshoot button took me to a page on the apple site that listed a load of generic codes.

the only cable i have is the one that came with the iphone 4.

ive managed to get it working after 4 attempts, now need to resync all my data! most annoying.

5. Tae macrumors newbie

I got the same error using the original connector. Restoring as I type this :(

6. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

Same thing happened to me. I had to try doing it 3 times before it finally took.

Not sure what caused it / what fixed it...

7. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

OP, I'd love to know the reason as to why you're updating.

8. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

same here. even if you're not jailbroken, why bother?

9. Trueno macrumors newbie

10. MyRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

I always update to the latest version. I have no interest in jailbreaking and would rather have the security issues fixed.

Is there any way to get the error code? Ie, is it logged?

11. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

My iPad became stuck (stalled) near the end of restore at the last update. Now my iPhone 3G has done the same thing. :eek:

Once again I'm resorting to recboot that you can find at:

http://www.sebby.net/443-recboot-final-release/

Did it work? Well for the iPad it did. Now I'm waiting for the process to finish! I'll be back!

Apple have a problem here. Neither of my devices are JB'ed so updating should not have this problem! Apple is not so perfect eh? (Though I love you still).

(BTW the first time I tried the update I did the whole thing through iTunes. The second time I have downloaded the update firmware separately before letting itunes do the update.)

Update download: http://www.crispytech.com/2010/08/11/iphone-ios-4-0-2-download-available-now/
    Instructions how to: http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/97320

12. anthdci macrumors 6502

There really is no security issue, it is an exploit that currently only jailbreakme.com is using. All 4.0.2 does it prevent the jailbreak, there is no advantage in going to it so your wasting your time fighting an error message. I hope you backed up your shsh blobs to have the option of installing 4.0 or 4.0.1 instead of being forced to 4.0.2

13. foranor macrumors regular

Yeah. Currently.

Wait a second, since the exploit has now been published, maybe I should set up some site using the exploit and ask you all to visit it.

It's a freaking way into your phone. Don't your contacts/data mean anything to you?

It -is- a security issue and anyone following up to fix it is certainly no fool.
    I'm not pushing everyone to update, but there's no reason to misinform someone who wants the security issues fixed.