4.0 GM *deathly* slow on 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cellocello, Jun 16, 2010.

1. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a thread on this I missed?

I mean crazy slooow. SMS takes ages to open, the lock screen won't come up right away, the 'icons flying away' animations stutters and jerks. Brutally slow. Is anyone else having this?

2. Jomni macrumors member

Yeh same here. very slow. SMS is the worst one!

3. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

4. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i think it is about the same as beta 4. things dont open quickly and its frozen once on me so yes i do think you are correct. hopefully the actual gm will be better bc this is only the candidate.

5. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Its super slow. Like really starting to piss me off slow. Even without multitasking or background wallpapers, you think the speed wuld have been the same as 3.1.3, but no.

6. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Really? I have found that a 3G with OS 4.0 GM is faster than a 3GS running OS 3.1.3 (yes, I've compared it).

7. BeckyG macrumors member

BeckyG

Mine (3G) is slow - particularly when trying to start a new text. I just get a white screen for a while with grey lines.

Also, is anyone having trouble switching to speaker when the phone is laying flat?

8. cellocello thread starter macrumors 68000

cellocello

Man, I wish that was the case for me. My friend has a 3GS that I play with, and that thing feels like a rocket compared to my phone.

Typing is brutal now too, worse than ever. :eek:

9. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Maybe a stupid question but are you comparing OS4 on the 3G to OS4 on the 3GS or to OS3 on the 3G?

I find OS3 extremely slow on the 3G so I'm really not looking forward to this now.

10. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

Yes, it's extremely slow.

I've just sold my 3GS running 4.0 and am using a 3G with 4.0 until my iPhone4 arrives. It's absolutely horrible.

It's not just slow opening apps, it's also extremely jerky. Just going back to the home screen from one of the other app screens, it jerks into place.

11. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I already felt the iOS 3.0 upgrade on my 3G caused it to run slower. Just better, more complicated software taxing your hardware which has remained the same through two major revisions of the operating system. Honestly, what did you expect? You can't add features without a performance penalty.

12. AaronE macrumors 6502

I don't think it's that bad and I have multitasking and the wallpaper enabled.

13. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

It's worse than I thought for not enough benefit on a 3G. May revert if the official release is no different.

14. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

If you restored from a backup, it could be that.

I had some major slowdowns with my 3G when I restored from a backup. Doing a fresh restore without the backup fixed it for me, even though I had to set email up again and everything.

It was totally worth it to get the speed back, though.

15. cellocello thread starter macrumors 68000

cellocello

The 'Snow Leopard' of iPhone OSes would be nice. The iPod app is crazy slow too.

I did, in fact, restore from a back-up, so maybe I'll try a fresh restore. That's a bit of a hassle though - it's not like restoring everything is the quickest thing to do.