4.0 JB to 4.1 JB?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dmurray14, Nov 7, 2010.

1. dmurray14 macrumors member

I know there are plently of threads on this, but they seem to have conflicting info. I have an iPhone 4 with JB'ed 4.0, and I want to upgrade to a JB'ed 4.1. I don't care about an unlock. Most important thing is I don't want to lose any of my settings, texts, notes, legit apps, etc. I thought the best way to do this was to backup, upgrade to 4.1, restore, and then JB. But I've also read to never restore. So how do I do it? I don't want to lose anything (other than JB apps, which I don't mind re-installing).

Thanks!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Make sure you have everything back up onto iTunes before you upgrade. Since you don't care about the unlock (guessing you're using an official carrier) you can upgrade to 4.1 via iTunes.

Then to jailbreak you have 3 choices: Redsn0w, Limera1n, or Greenpois0n.

3. dmurray14 thread starter macrumors member

Cool, and I'll keep all my settings/texts/ etc?

Thanks!

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Yes, If you do a regular Itunes upgrade you will not lose any of the Settings/text/ etc. They only thing you will lose is any existing JB and any JB apps. The regular Itunes apps will not be affected. Do not use the restore option use the upgrade option. The Restore will wipe everything.

5. fleeper macrumors 6502

Is there an option if you want to keep the unlock?

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If you want to keep an unlockable baseband you have to use either pwnage tool or T umbrella to do the update.

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

The new PwnageTool for Mac allows you to create a custom ipsw file to preserve the baseband. It allows you to safely upgrade.

8. LyricalMenace macrumors member

Is this for Mac only? I have 4.0 and would like to upgrade to 4.1 but I am using a windows PC.

I have AT&T for a service provider, but would LIKE to keep my unlockable baseband just in case.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You can use the latest redn0w on Windows buy you still need someone to "cook" an firmware for you on a mac (there are places only that you can download pre-configure firmware if you dare to trust them)