Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItouchMe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Now I know that their is no official word on when the jailbreak releases, but I have a question hoping to get some opinions. When the new JB comes out for 4.1, do you think that devices already at firmware 4.1, like new iPhone 4's and iPod touches will be able to JB or will you have to be previously JB'ed like in some past JB's. Since the new exploit is a bootrom exploit, I'm hoping that 4.1 users will be able to JB without being JB'ed at a earlier firmware. What do you guys think?

iPhone-power

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
Now I know that their is no official word on when the jailbreak releases, but I have a question hoping to get some opinions. When the new JB comes out for 4.1, do you think that devices already at firmware 4.1, like new iPhone 4's and iPod touches will be able to JB or will you have to be previously JB'ed like in some past JB's. Since the new exploit is a bootrom exploit, I'm hoping that 4.1 users will be able to JB without being JB'ed at a earlier firmware. What do you guys think?

Since the jailbreak works on the new generation iDevices which have never been pwned before (userland jailbreaks are not pwned jailbreaks) the answer is yes. But, we don't know if it will be tethered or untethered.

ItouchMe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Since the jailbreak works on the new generation iDevices which have never been pwned before (userland jailbreaks are not pwned jailbreaks) the answer is yes. But, we don't know if it will be tethered or untethered.

Oh, ok. Thanks for the clarification. So the big question is if its going to be tethered or untethered. I can definitely see the iPod Touch having to be tethered, because it has a lot in the past JB's. But for iPhone 4 users, it would be torture. Generally from my experience, the iPhone JB's are usually untethered.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Chances are good since pod2g said he tried it on iP4 and iPad 3.2.2 and it works, however with no real details on what direction the final JB tool will take, or what the upgrade/update path will be it's really hard to answer that question.

dartimous

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
Why would a bootrom exploit jailbreak for all devices be tethered? The likelihood of it being tethered would be very low. Afaik its a new exploit, it works for all devices, and is in the bootrom - that should mean non-tethered.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Why would a bootrom exploit jailbreak for all devices be tethered? The likelihood of it being tethered would be very low. Afaik its a new exploit, it works for all devices, and is in the bootrom - that should mean non-tethered.

You can't say that for sure, as the Chronic Dev team said it themself..

SHAtter is not a tethered jailbreak nor it is untethered... @chronicdevteam have not yet announced anything about that. Stop ...

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I can definitely see the iPod Touch having to be tethered, because it has a lot in the past JB's. But for iPhone 4 users, it would be torture. Generally from my experience, the iPhone JB's are usually untethered.

So you obviously didn't use an iPhone 3GS about the same time that the tethered jailbreaks began (between June and October 2009)...

On the flipside, I can definitely see both the iPod Touch and the iPhone 4 to be tethered jailbreaks. (See how easy it is to make a statement with absolutely no facts or backup at all?)

Also, how often does one really need to turn off their phone completely? Maybe once a week tops, unless you have real issues.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
kinda new to JB, but what does 'tethered' and 'untethered' mean?

Tethered Jailbreake you need a computer to inject and re-run the jail breaking code every time you reboot your phone.

Untether, the Jailbrake code is storage "somewhere" on the iPhone (outside the File system, since it need to run at boot before the OS is actually started) and is able to run from the phone at boot (without the need of a computer).

For the record, every jailbreak needs a Untether exploit and a thether exploit, The first one allow the hacker to access the section of the phone in order to find a way to injet and permanently keep jailbreak code (also knows as untehter jailbreak). We know (based on hacker telling everyone on twitter) that they already broke the boot code so they can access it (that's how the read the keys), now they are working on ways to exploit the code in order to keep it in there after reboot (A.K.A untether) - An extremely oversimplified explanation but I think it will give you an good idea of how it works -

Chic0

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Tethered Jailbreake you need a computer to inject and re-run the jail breaking code every time you reboot your phone.

Untether, the Jailbrake code is storage "somewhere" on the iPhone (outside the File system, since it need to run at boot before the OS is actually started) and is able to run from the phone at boot (without the need of a computer).

For the record, every jailbreak needs a Untether exploit and a thether exploit, The first one allow the hacker to access the section of the phone in order to find a way to injet and permanently keep jailbreak code (also knows as untehter jailbreak). We know (based on hacker telling everyone on twitter) that they already broke the boot code so they can access it (that's how the read the keys), now they are working on ways to exploit the code in order to keep it in there after reboot (A.K.A untether) - An extremely oversimplified explanation but I think it will give you an good idea of how it works -

Thanks
an oversimplified explanation is just what I need :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.