4.1 Killed my signal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheBritishBloke, Sep 8, 2010.

1. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Just curious, has anyone else had this issue after updating? My signal strength used to be 3 bars on 3G indoors, now I get 2-3 bars on EDGE..

2. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Someone else has mentioned this in another thread. But my reception seems to be the same.

3. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I was on 3.1.3 for the longest time, perfect signal. Ever since I got onto 4.0+ a few weeks back my signal has been gone! I know they did that whole "reformulation of the bars" or whatever but this is crazy.. I thought I was the only one. Glad to see thats not the case.

4. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Not quite, 4.0.1 had the reformulation of the bars (and an increase in the lowest signal lv) but 4.0 changed which tower you connect to. 3.1.3- connected you to the CLOSEST tower while under 4.0+ you get connected to the tower with LEAST traffic even if it was further away which meant your signal would be lower.

5. benoitgphoto macrumors 6502

First time I hear that...any official reference on that (closest tower vs least traffic )?

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Thanks for the info although I'm not sure what you meant by "Not quite"
    Are you suggesting that I'm lying!?

7. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I might contact my carrier.. I think it's my phone, as ever since getting my iPhone 4, I rarely ever get 3G now, and even though I'm in a ridiculously high coverage zone, I never get more than 3 bars..

8. Rofl macrumors member

It's not your phone. How do I know? Because I replaced my purported 'faulty' phone with Apple when I experienced the same issues as you did, and it came back exactly the same. Either that's just bad karma, or there is realistically nothing wrong with the phone at all. I think it's more of a software issue - like the antenna is not being able to align properly with the signal mast.