4,1 Mac Pro with Mavericks or El Capitan performance

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brandflakes7969, Sep 19, 2016.

1. brandflakes7969 macrumors newbie

Running the 8 core 4,1 with a k5000, seem to be having issues with graphics card for whatever reason with El Capitan. Wondering if anyone runs an older OS. I am trying to convert this into a pure workstation at the moment so I want performance more then any 10.9+ bells and whistles. Any suggestions on downgrading or staying with El Capitan in terms of performance ?

2. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

I'm using similar Mac Pro with Radeon 207X for database and VM work. I tested El Capitan and didn't like it, Mavericks works much better for my needs and is faster.

Have you tested another card to rule out faulty component?

Downgrading is a lot of work if you don't have clone of Mavericks volume at hand... In my case it was worth it, only you can if it would be beneficial or not.

3. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

You could run Mavericks, but as of today it probably won't receive any further security updates, since Sierra will be available. Just FYI :)

4. brandflakes7969 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no other card to rule out faulty components unfortunately. Is there a reason why Mavericks is considered "faster" ?

5. Morpheo, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Mainly because the UI is less demanding and there are less background tasks. I was running Mavericks on my Mac Pros until very recently but a major upgrade from Native Instruments now requires Yosemite or later. So I upgraded to El Capitan again (installed it last year when it came out). While I do like Mavericks very much, I have to admit for me 10.11.6 is sold as a rock, and though the flat UI is not as easy on the cpu than Mavericks, El Capitan is very responsive, fast and, dare I say, a pleasure to use. Now if only I could stop spotlight from indexing the whole neighborhood after each boot...