4.1 MBP, broken Superdrive, dead pixels, Service Battery.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MIKE666, Apr 12, 2010.

1. MIKE666 macrumors regular

i have the classic MBP 15'' i got it in 2008. i have Applecare.

recently i have noticed 2 dead pixels and 1 stuck pixel.

about a month ago the superdrive stopped working.

it also says Service Battery, which im not to worried about as it still lasts a couple of hours and that is enough for me.

however i was wondering what would the apple store do for me?

fix it free of charge? i assume so as i have applecare. but as there is a few problems would they replace it?

thanks for the help.

2. migsev macrumors regular

Can't hurt to try asking for a replacement. If they deny you, you'll get the needed repairs anyway because of Applecare.

3. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i suppose. i think ill be even more cheeky and wait until the new ones are in before i ask for a replacemet. :)

4. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

they will fix it free of charge under applecare. However, its highly unlikely you get a replacement. The superdrive it the only major hardware failure you have. The battery doesn't count as a major hardware failure, i'm not sure dead pixels count. I'm not aware if apple covers those or not. Apples officially unofficial replacement policy is 3 major hardware repairs and then on the 4th, they replace the computer.

I'm also waiting for the new models to come out before i get a replacement mbp. I was promissed that upon my next hardware failure, they would give me a new one. (i have it in writing). When they sent it back last time the harddrive was clicking like crazy :) I've just been waiting for about 2 months for the new models to come before i get my replacement. I don't feel bad though because i take the mcat may 1st, so i can't live without a computer until after then.

5. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

fair enough, wasnt expecting a replacement to be honest. Just hoping really.
    I have also been having problems with my hard drive, i recently bought a new one to put in but havent got round to it yet. think i may leave it until i take it in now.

6. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Good luck getting a replacement - talking to them on the phone gives you better odds than walking into an apple store.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You more than likely won't be getting a replacement for these issues unless you brought your machine in separately each time. For instance if you bring in your Macbook pro as issues accumulate and they end up replacing the screen, logic board, keyboard, I/O board (left side ports) and the battery, they'll do it and happily hand it back to you. But if you bring it in separately each time, you can petition based on the amount of time / trips wasted, though you'll need atleast 3 *major* repairs to really have any traction.

8. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

i second this, from experience

9. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

ill ring up, no harm in trying dont expect to get a replacement, i was just hoping. i will be happy if it all gets fixed, its just a pain i will be without a computer for a while.

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

It is always very handy to have a spare one. Especially if you're dependent on them and can't be without one for very long.