4.1 on 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reddmanz, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Reddmanz macrumors regular

Ok,Im a 3G owner who's been patiently waiting for this 'fix' to come out after hearing such bad things about 4.0 on this phone. So after waiting a week I want to know how its been for people who have taken the leap and updated. I myself haven't moved past 3.1.3 but now Im sooo tempted.

So,whats everyones stories/views?!

2. shandyman Suspended

seriously? couldn't have read one of the other threads about this???

3. Reddmanz thread starter macrumors regular

yep.

Read through threads on here but obviously a lot of people are using 3Gs' and iPhone 4's. I just want to easily see how the update is doing for most 3G users.

I also search through Mroogle before posting this.

4. shandyman Suspended

there was at least 2 threads specifically about 4.1 on the 3G and how it's going on there with people's experience, they're even titled along the lines of 4.1 on 3G.

5. karlth macrumors regular

Any comments from 3G owners about 4.1's performance?

Is it worth upgrading?

6. blazer deli macrumors newbie

I'm looking for the same feedback. Very hesitant to d/l more updates without hearing first hand from the guinea pigs.

Completed search, but not really any good threads I could find.

7. shandyman Suspended

the threads about for the GM many users were saying it was much much better, like running 3.1.2.

8. Reddmanz thread starter macrumors regular

I heard the GM was identical to the one out today but just wanted to give it a few hours and make sure the majority of people are seeing positive results! I dont want to leave 3.1.3 and regret it!

9. JAG77 macrumors member

iOS 4.1 on iPhone 3g

Hey all,

Just upgraded and have been messing around with it for 20 min. Things seem to be better than the were before. In my opinion the messaging app shows a lot smoother performance and lags much less than 4.0. But besides the usual startup lag and maybe an occasional keyboard lag, everything seems ok. Maps was by far the worst performing app for me on 4.0 and it has definitely improved some. Honestly I don't think this version will cause you to get real frustrated and consider downgrading. Give it a shot.

Good luck

10. bigmacrumor macrumors newbie

it is better so far, but will see response speed after a week or so, at least.

what I don't like and didn't expect was that after the update, I lost about a 1/2 GB on my iPhone 3G. also lost about the same disk space on my PC.

the whole upgrade took about an hour.

11. shandyman Suspended

try resyncing, a couple of people had this issue with the GM and it sorted itself out

12. vistadude macrumors 65816

It's slightly better now, not as good as 3.0 or 2.0. It'll probably slow down in a few days or when 4.2 comes.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

A co-worker's wife has a 3G and I'll post back with her experience.

14. bigmacrumor macrumors newbie

thanks andythursby

Thanks, andythursby! I did a SYNC and not only got back the 1/2 GB on my iphone 3G, but also an additional 200MB, i.e., went from 2.3 GB free (before upgrade to 4.1) down to 1.41 GB free (after upgrade to 4.1) then up to 2.5 GB free (after SYNC).

However, didn't get any free space back on my PC, so will see if I can do something about that since my C drive is already low on space.

15. shandyman Suspended

the space missing off the hard drive is probably due to the IPSW file which was the 4.1 update and also probably a backup of your iPhone.

16. MrTwister macrumors newbie

17. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

I am also interested in how 3G owners are getting on with the update. I have held my mother off from upgrading hers to iOS4 so far.

"Andythursby" you need to relax. I also found no other previous thread dedicated to 3G users on the public release of 4.1 and was glad this one had been started.
    I really hate the people who rush to post some unhelpful comment about "searching first". Either link a thread or two to help the OP or shut up. You registered here this year and already the forum owes you something?

18. Maximized macrumors newbie

The iPhone 3G is usable again.

I upgraded this morning and I'm really impressed with this update. I'd say that it's faster than iPhone OS 3.x but with the functionality of iOS 4.x. The folders work like a charm, text messaging, mailing and surfing is fun again.

I really recommend the update to other iPhone 3G users. It's good.

19. shandyman Suspended

dunno why you decided to take a poke at me, but 1, i didn't have time to go find the threads myself and post links, i just knew i had seen some and they weren't majorly hard to find if one was actually looking. 2, what does the year i registered here got to do with anything? i've been using this forum for years, just didn't use my old login for a while and it was registered to an old email address i don't have access to anymore. you shouldn't presume anything....

20. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Andythursby - My apologies sir. I don't normally snap at other members like that. I'm just a little annoyed to see a growing amount of unpleasant posts on these forums lately. If your post was not meant as a snipe (like many others often are) then I wholeheartedly apologise to you.

Maximized - Glad to hear your positive experiences with the new update, thanks for posting.

21. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

22. Reddmanz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies,think I'll take the plunge later on tonight.

Also a quick question,does anyone know if 3G supports typing using the wireless keyboard or is that another thing I'll be missing out on?

23. MyBenz macrumors newbie

Update from 3.1.3 took about 2 hours with no glitches. Seems to be working really well. Had to downgrade from 4 because it was so slow and would stall, so I did hesitate. Web browsing seems faster and from what I can tell it's not a huge difference on most other things. Basically what I expected from the initial 4 release which took almost an entire day to update and then made the phone practically useless. I will post if anything changes or have any insight.

24. G5Dual macrumors newbie

iOS 4.1 on 3G is a relief!

Installed it in about 45 minutes on my 3G, which has choked badly on iOS 4.01. Now is very snappy switching to each app and responding to finger touches in an instant. Not 4G speed but back to iOS 3.1 speed.
    However, some apps are still a bit slower than with iOS 3.1. Will add more findings if I find some bugs.
    Very happy nevertheless.
    Jay