4,1 (or 5,1) vs a nMP...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wildmac, Feb 5, 2014.

  1. wildmac macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2003
    #1
    So since my nMP order has been in "deliver in February" land for a while, that's given me time to waffle, and debate, and ponder and....

    So, the choices.. nMP Quad/D300/32/512 + external storage, for ~$4500, or a used 4,1/5,1 for between $1k-$2k.

    I'm upgrading from a 1,1.

    Need it for LR, PS, WoW.

    Currently looking at a 2009 4,1 dual 2.26 quad with 22G ram and a slngle 2TB drive that's being offered for $1500. Thinking about offering the guy $1200 and see what he says. While I won't gain much in single core speeds, I'll gain current OS upgradability, and room to do future updates, including a current video card.

    Or should I hold out for a 2010 5,1 with a faster single core speed?

    Thoughts?
     
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #2
    Hands down, if I had the cash and the need, I'd get a new one. However, a 5,1 will absolutely be a huge jump for you so if form factor isn't a must, get the 5,1.
     
  3. echoout macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2007
    Location:
    Austin, Texas
    #3
    I wouldn't go for more than $1200, but the 4,1 lets you upgrade at your own pace and be more flexible, for less money. If you don't need the flexibility and want to just get to work, the new one might suit you better. I opted for the 4,1.
     
  4. MH01 macrumors G4

    MH01

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #4
    I have also looked into this.

    Can't you just flash a 4.1 to be a 5.1?

    In that case buy the cheapest 4.1 dual core possible and upgrade the CPU and a flashed 580/680.

    I looked into 5.1, but they are too expansive compared to 4.1

    Is there any downside to flashing a 4.1 to 5.1? The two are practically the same Right ?
     
  5. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

    casperes1996

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2014
    Location:
    Horsens, Denmark
    #5
    I haven't tried, but...

    Haven't tried it, but it should work just fine flashing the ROM. Of course, only if you upgrade the hardware to match what the 5.1 ROM accepts.
     
  6. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

    MacUser2525

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    Go for 4,1 single core flash to a 5,1 put x5650 in it and get just about exactly the same cpu processing power as the dual your looking at and save a few hundred for ram/video card updating.

    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281253205977?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281255265723?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
     
  7. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2008
    #7
    I would say with your chosen software then unless they get a big rewrite to make use of the GPU power then I would get a 4,1 and flash or a 5,1 and upgrade that.

    I don't know if you are on the Adobe CC subscription or are sticking with the last release of the standalone PS and LR, however wouldn't expect to see Adobe updating the non-CC versions of PS to support the nMP capabilities.
     
  8. VirtualRain macrumors 603

    VirtualRain

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    #8
    It's hard for me to imagine anyone buying a 5 year old computer... although I'm glad some are, as it provides a market for my old stuff. ;)

    BTW, you'll find even a lowly MacBook Air is probably faster than that 2.26 Octo core. That thing was the red-headed step-child of it's day. The clock speeds are pathetic. Unless you plan to upgrade the CPUs on that immediately, I think you'll be greatly disappointed.
     
  9. wildmac thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2003
    #9
    Should have said that.. PS 5.5 but current on LR 5.x. Holding out on Adobe CC until I absolutely have to make that jump.
     
  10. flowrider macrumors 601

    flowrider

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2012
    #10
    Form factor was a must for me, that is why I bought a new 5,1 while they were still available:eek:

    The many reasons why, are spelled out on this forum.

    Lou
     
  11. wildmac thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2003
    #11
    Yeah, the base clock is the same speed as my 1,1 Quad. Good point there. So unless I get my hands in it and change CPUs..

    Grr... I need a headless iMac.

    ----------

    Fair point. Personally I don't care about the form factor, other than the fact that I would need to buy external storage.

    Funny enough, my wife was concerned about the form factor, that the cats would try to sit on the nMP.. and the shelf where the cats sleep would not be kept warm the way it is with the cMP right now... :D

    ----------

    Just saw this one...

    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/sys/4311981173.html
     
  12. davidb367 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2007
    #12
    I purchased a nMP to replace my upgraded 1,1. The main reasons I upgraded was the legacy connectivity and I/O. USB 3.0 support is expensive and problematic on the old boxes and I was able to consolidate all of my data on an external USB 3.0 drive.

    I do 3D rendering and the old box just wasn't cutting it. If a 4,1 or 5,1 will work for you then buy one. It all comes down to will the computer satisfly your computing needs.
     
  13. wildmac thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2003
    #13
    That's a good point too. Hmm.. Transfer speeds from card readers is a pain...
     
  14. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2008
    #14
    With those software versions would say stick with a 4,1 flashed or a 5,1 and upgrade them.

    Neither of those software versions are going to make much use of the GPU power in the nMP
     

Share This Page