4.1 proximity sensor fix?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tomashi, Jul 15, 2010.

1. tomashi macrumors regular

can anyone verify whether or not this has been addressed in the beta 4.1?

2. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Not that I am aware of.

3. tomashi thread starter macrumors regular

craaaap. if they don't fix that i dunno how i'm gonna deal with this phone. i guess their solution will be to use a handset

4. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

If the stupid proximity sensor cannot be fixed via a software update, I'll be returning.

Unfortunately I have both issues, but the proximity sensor is the biggie for me because currently I've got a case.

Tomorrow is going to be interesting to say the least in terms of exactly what Apple has to say. Steve and Co. better leave the arrogance and holier than thou BS at home this time.

5. dubnde macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

Replaced mine and got another with same sensor problem. Contacted apple and they've arranged another replacement.

6. tomashi thread starter macrumors regular

how much hope do yo have that a 2nd replacement will fix the problem?

7. scottuf macrumors 6502

this seems like a hardware issue as it only affects a handful of people. if it were software everyone would have the problem.

8. smuffy macrumors newbie

it's a killer for me at night. Walk outside when it's already dark, and it's constantly turning on and off. Only happening when it's dark to begin with though. But, my phone is nearly unusable in those circumstances without holding it away from my face so I don't mute the other person. At least, change the top button to lock the screen like it did in os 3!!!

Can't believe they wouldn't fix this in their first patch!

9. cirn0 macrumors newbie

My 'despatch by 14th July' batch UK order has no problem so I reckon its hardware problem

Tried to call vodafone customer service (so its free and I dont need to listen to the automated message), whenever I placed my entire hand on the phone the screen turn off in 1sec. Hand off = display back on.

Get it returned/exchanged while you still can

10. honeytoast macrumors regular

FWIW I went to have mine exchanged for the proximity sensor issue and they told me it was because I restored from a backup of my 3g. I have since restored as a new phone with 4.1 and have not had any issues.

11. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Handful? Please! :rolleyes:

12. tomashi thread starter macrumors regular

i'm pretty sure i have one year to exchange this phone, but i'm not gonna bother until someone tells me it's been addressed for sure. PLENTY of people are getting replacements that have the same exact issue.

i setup my phone as a brand new one, no restore. also i did the reset all settings fix with no avail. this is the WORST problem on the phone, i guess aside from getting dropped calls

13. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I still haven't had this happen to me in over 300 minutes of calling.