4.1 signal bars: the moron's mating call.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Jul 14, 2010.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Book your genuinely important Genius Bar appointments soon folks because when 4.1 drops to the masses, the brain donors of the world are gonna flock to the Apple store, crying that the software update ruined their reception.

I'm also betting that the high and mighty ones here who have been boasting that their signal doesn't drop when shorting the antenna are going to get laryngitis when they see a more accurate picture of what kind of reception they're *really* getting with 4.1.

2. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

But the bars are bigger so that equals out right?

3. draz macrumors 6502a

*runs around kicking and screaming*
    mommy... my phone doesn't have full bars! it's ruinnnnneeeeeddddd!! :(

4. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

as of right now 4.1 did not fix the problem for me. also i liked the old display for bars better it just looks weird now. also i don't know if u were being sarcastic (u probably were) but the fact that the bars are longer doesn't mean the signal is better.

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Seconded. The new bars just look strange.

Can't wait to see what my signal *really is while at work. As of now, I have five bars, then four, then I put it to sleep and when I wake it up it's searching and takes several minutes to acquire a signal. After that it jumps right back up to five bars. :rolleyes:

6. satirev macrumors 6502

what apple doesnt understand is that this update is going to reveal that the reception problem is universal...

7. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

I agree it will show the problem as universal, which is why the Genius Bars will be clogged. But Apple knows this, and that, I'm assuming, is one thing they will be discussing during the press conference.

8. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Yes for them to release this update is incredibly stupid, I feel bad for their retail employees and AT & T customer service.

Does this also happen for European carriers?

I guess we will have to wait until fridays press conference.

9. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Maybe I should have put the /sarcasm tags in there, but didn't think they were needed...

10. rangtang macrumors member

Whoa, is it bad if one of my bars just "ate" the one to its left and became a hybrid super-bar/fake-bar? This creates great concern for my missing middle bar. Will this affect my ability to face-talk and play "go-farm-go!"? Free bumper please ;)

11. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Or, you could just not update and have more bars in more places.

12. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

We discover Friday that AT&T hasn't added a single tower.

Isn't there a governing body in the U.S. that penalizes companies from misrepresenting data to the consumer like this?

Apple explicitly changed the formula that all other cellular manufacturers use to display bars.

13. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

No, they clearly said mistakenly...

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That doesn't make sense. If the signal doesn't drop when we hold it, who cares if it's 5 bars or 2 bars to start? The fact is that the bars don't drop for some people and the phone works the way it should.

15. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

If it's "universal", why do I still not have the problem even after updating to 4.1, even when I start out with fewer than 5 bars and do the "death grip"?

16. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

iPhone comes out, people realize how crappy AT&T service is, people flock, moan, complain, ect. Apple comes up with an ingenious method to display bars based on coverage so mediocre coverage at least looks decent, that way people don't complain. Now that Apple actually wants to show you your TRUE coverage, guess people will complain again. Really, its a lose, lose.

17. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

AT&T is to blame as well maybe more than Apple. I have had very slow data for the past 2 weeks and AT&T denies having any issues with their network!!!

18. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

Well maybe your antenna is somehow more insulated than most. Maybe your body has a weird electrical imbalance and doesn't have any effect on it. Has anyone else tried to short your antenna? Or maybe Apple will come clean on Friday and tell us that there is a problem, but 10% of phones already sold are unaffected. All I know is, I've tried the death grip on other people's phones, on phones at 2 Apple stores, and 3 AT&T stores, and I have yet to see one unaffected.

19. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

IMO All phones have the potential of having the issue. Look at the antenna, it's broken up by the seams for a reason, so the antennas don't interfere with each other. Your finger or hand bridges that gap, making the antennas do what the gap was meant to prevent. I've tried close to 15 and they all do it.

It's the design, all of the phones have the same exact design. This is an Iphone 4 issue, not a select batch of Iphone 4.

20. zerostar macrumors regular

I agree, I live in Palm Beach, Florida and recently flew from Miami to NY. Stopped at the Miami Falls store and tested every phone, stopped at the Gardens Mall then the Wellington Green Mall and tested every phone, happened to be at The Willowbrook Mall in NJ and checked every phone. Ended my trip at the 5th Avenue Store and guess what.... I tested every phone

The Only place I couldn't replicate the problem was at the Gardens Mall, I got so excited I pulled out my phone but the problem was gone.... They must just have super service there.

I figure I tested around 60 in different stores and about 10 from fellow shoppers who let me examine theirs. Every phone (besides while in PBGardens) had the signal issue.

I believe every phone as of now is the same, could just be as was said above, different skin conductivity? I don't know too much about that, but perhaps it has to do with 1900 vs 850 towers? (that still exist?) LOL

EDIT: I'm pretty confident in my testing that I am thinking about offering someone $1,000 to show me an iPhone 4 that will not lose signal in my hand. I will even fly them (round trip) to Palm Beach, FL. They can stay at a nice hotel for 3 days on Palm Beach Island my treat. Think of it as a small vacation. Anyone have a "mine is fine" iPhone and care to make a wager?

Sorry for any spelling, on the iPad and still learning this keyboard :/

21. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

22. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

i can replicate signal attenuation on my iphone 3g but not on my iphone 4... just sayin..

23. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Whatever it is, I'm not complaining that's for sure. And there's definitely a problem. I'd be pissed off as anyone else if my phone had it, so I'm not claiming that nothing is wrong.

It sure will be interesting to see what Apple claims/does on Friday.

24. brentsg macrumors 68040

Do you realize that this is crazy? I can barely make it to my local mall when I badly need some new clothes.