Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve.P

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Hi guys, i have a 4.1 that i need to flash to a 5.1 But i have had some difficulty.. The Boot Rom is MP41.0081.B08 and i think that might be the problem.

I have tried but it wont update,.. Any tips ?
Has anyone been able to do the update with this version Boot Rom ?

Is there any danger of messing up the firmware update ? so my machine wont be able to use the (4.1) 2.66 GHz processor if i cant get the 5.1 update to work? I need this machine everyday in my recording studio and i cant take any chances.

I have a 3.46GHz Xeon 6-Core Westmere that i want to use.

I hope someone has ran into this situation, i dont really want to buy another MB that is already updated but a spare would be nice.

(This is what i have running and its working perfect)
Mountain Lion 10.8.4
Nvidia GeForce GT 120
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 32 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MP41.0081.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.39f5
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f5

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
MP41.0081.B08 is a firmware posterior of the one that the Netkas method of upgrade MP4,1 to MP5,1 expects your 2009 Mac Pro to have. You still can do the firmware upgrade, but by reconstruction of the BootROM.

I'll send you a PM with instructions.

Steve.P

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
When I tried to do the upgrade I only had the 5.1 open on my desktop,. I read that I need to have both 4.1 and 5.1 open on the desktop when I run the firmware updater.

Do you think this was the reason it didn't update ?
Do I need to be connected to the internet to do the update ?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
When I tried to do the upgrade I only had the 5.1 open on my desktop,. I read that I need to have both 4.1 and 5.1 open on the desktop when I urn the firmware updater.

Do you think this was the reason it didn't update ?
Don't do the Netkas type of upgrade to 5,1, we are finding that this method overwrite some important info that shouldn't be overwritten, like the BootBlock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.