4.1 Wifi persistence

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sndcj1, Sep 26, 2010.

1. sndcj1 macrumors member

I seem to remember that in 4.0, wifi stayed active on my phone in "standby" mode. That does not seem to be the case any more, with it reverting to 3g in standby mode. Is that what everyone is experiencing, and is this different between 4.1 and 4.0, or was I just confusing the wifi experience in the ipad and the iphone?

2. Ever34 macrumors regular

Every iPhone I've had, has always reverted back to 3G when asleep.

3. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I agree with the poster above me, but the only real test of persistent wifi I can see is being on my college campus. In order for me to access the wifi, I had to (3G on 3.0) manually access the internet, and log-in on a website with my Cal Poly username. Now on 4.0, I just logged in once, and now even when it's asleep or I go off campus and come back, it puts me back on the wifi. At least I hope this is how it works. I see when I unlock my phone, the 3G sign revert quickly back to wifi so I really don't understand persistent wifi.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The "Persistent Wi-Fi" feature of iOS 4 was really badly documented and reported.

Persistent Wi-Fi applies in these scenarios with any version of iOS 4:

-All of the time on an iPod touch
    -When an iPhone is plugged in to a power source (and a Wi-Fi network is available)
    -When an iPhone has no cellular data connection - either because you've turned it off or there is no cellular signal (and Wi-Fi is available)
    -When an application is running and actively using the data connection (e.g. streaming music in the background)