4.11.08 unlock being worked on?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Mrlal8, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Mrlal8 macrumors member

I've been stalking sherif hashim and musclenerds twitter for months now hoping for an unlock.

Recently someone tweeted to him "any news on the baseband 4.11.08? im about to throw my phone in to the garbage can! :("

and he responded with

"don't do it, at least till i tell you ;)"

this is the first positive sign of a possible unlock being worked on that ive seen so there may be hope for those desperately waiting for an unlock

Also both Musclenerd and sherif have been inactive since jan 25th so they better be working on something lol

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Why did you get an locked iphone if you so desperately need an unlock? Can't you just get an official unlock and enjoy your iphone? It's proven that unlocking is difficult.

I would suggest sell it and get an official unlock iphone.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

did you purchase the phone thinking an unlock was available?

there hasnt been an unlock in over a year why would you throw it out

4. Mrlal8 thread starter macrumors member

Never needed an unlocked iphone till now. I have both the 4s and 4 i am just waiting for whichever gets an unlock first. I need an unlock because I just moved to the caribbean for 4 months. Lol im not going to spend $850 on an official unlocked phone just for 4 months..if the unlock happens it happpens if it doesnt then ill live lol.

No ive bought every iphone on the release day so far lol I just moved to the caribbean and need an unlock temporarily. That was not me saying I would throw it out it was someone else tweeting to sherif

However, i do think that they will come out with an unlock for 4.11.08 because so many people need it and it will take sherifs name over the top as well as making him a well respected unlocker

5. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Don't fool yourself thinking that you saved $850 when you buy a subsidize phone. You are actually paying AT&T for the subsidize price.

6. saud0488 macrumors 6502

Maybe but it's service you would need/be paying for anyways so you might as well get a deal on a phone out of it. The price of monthly service doesn't change depending on how much you paid for your phone.

Anyways, check out the Applenberry facebook page. They've confirmed that a gevey sim is being worked on for 4.11.08. ETA is unknown but rumors have it mid to end of this month. Who knows though.

7. noiceT macrumors 6502a

This makes sense for people that don't move. It's true that the service doesn't change, however that higher initial price gives greater flexibility to choice of service and when you want to quit that service. $650 for an unlocked 4s might seem steep initially, but try paying $350 - $400 just for trying to break contract...on a subsidized phone. Then the $650 doesn't look so bad..

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If you sold both your 4 and 4S you could buy an officially unlocked phone and be happy

9. Mrlal8 thread starter macrumors member

not paying ATT anything extra because I would need to pay for their service regardless...paying $200 and sometimes the early upgrade fee (which is a little more) in my case is well worth the 2 year extended contract. Plus I'm grandfathered into the unlimited data plan so I am never leaving ATT the contracts make no difference to me

damn really? Ive never purchased the gevey sim so I'm fairly new to that. If it does come out where does someone buy it and is it an actual sim card that you put in and need to have programmed?

yeah but for someone who is grandfathered in and never looking to switch providers the price of an unlocked phone is too steep...and plus iPhone comes out like every year and it'd be too costly to buy the newer version every time if it were not for the reduced att price

lol this is true but i will sell both the 4 and 4s when the 5 comes out

10. manueld macrumors 6502

I agree with this sentiment except that there's nowhere (in the US) where you can take your iphone to except for T-Mobile and I don't think I'd want EDGE speeds.

11. SgtP3pp3r macrumors member

Maybe selling two phones to buy one (of the same type of phone) doesn't sound like such a great alternative.

Just wait it out a little longer, i've read in several places that a hardware unlock is also being worked on. You'll be able to unlock your phone, but you will have to be patient for still some time.

I have two locked iPhone 4 that i recently bought (one for me, one for my wife). When i purchased them i was not aware of the difficulties with unlocking, and didn't even know what a baseband was. I thought Jailbreaking was enough, and sadly i've found now, that it isn't. Since purchasing them, i've been avidly looking for a way to unlock them. There's no unlock yet, be it software or hardware.

However, regardless of what anyone says, it's just a matter of time. From what i can gather, it always is. It has been this way since the first iPhone was released, and will continue to be like this as long as there are people who are willing to use their skills to legally unblock unfair restrictions, from legally acquired equipment.

$850 for an unlocked phone is too much, considering you can purchase a regular one for $200-$400 new and used in good condition, and have a little faith in the hacking community.

The fact that it's not yet unlockable is contributing to drive prices down. So it's not a good time to sell anyways (it's more a time to buy). You'll get a lot more for them once the unlock comes out, but i'm sure you won't want to sell them then ;)

It's a buyer's market right now. Just be patient.

Salut,

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I've been with cingular/at&t a long time, but I still use an unlocked phone. See, I go on vacation and when I do so, I can either roam with at&t or I pop a local sim into my ultrasnow unlocked phone. With a little thought and planning, I have an unlockable bb.
    Since I can't assume the dev team will do any more unlocks, my next phone will be factory unlocked.

13. saud0488 macrumors 6502

I travel abroad and just use another phone model altogether, as most people I know do. You can buy something like a blackberry curve for less than 100 bucks from craigslist and just use that. The reason? It's waay too much of a hassle to try and get a micro sim from most countries that aren't the US or in Western Europe. Sure I could use my SIM card cutter but why bother? Just take your iPhone along with you if you really need it for internet/music.

----------

or if you gotta have an iPhone, there's always someone looking to dump their 3g/3gs for 100 bucks on CL and you could just unlock that with the ipad bb.

14. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

AT&T is paying Apple to be able to sell iPhone. Do you think that they won't be charging more to cover those subsidize phone cost? Don't be naive. AT&T is a money sucking company.

15. saud0488 macrumors 6502

It's any company's goal to make money. AT&T was the only viable option for the iPhone for a long time due to verizon being adamant on staying CDMA.

16. TC25 macrumors 68020

I suppose you think AT&T should provide service at cost? I am sure you're posting from a squalid, 'occupy' tent city somewhere. :rolleyes:

17. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Apple has really gone out of there way trying to stop jailbreaking. The number one reason for me was to unlock.

We have been able to buy factory unlocked iphones direct from apple in the u.s. since june 14 of 2011. I love that I do not have to rely on anyone to figure out an unlock any more. Why play this game? And don't tell me they cost too much. An iphone purchased on contract and paying the outrageous $80-$90 a month pays for itself in 6 months.

18. grimloch macrumors newbie

What is the best service you can get for the money with an unlocked phone?

19. Meanee macrumors 6502a

They do.

And are you just going to assume that voice minutes, SMS, data, is free to your carrier? I mean, there's no way there are any equipment costs, salaries to pay for engineers and maintenance personnel, support centers, administrative and accounting? Or how about installing new towers? They are free after all, correct? You do not pay for anything for your service, you are simply paying back for that phone you have, no? Let's not forget the backbones that carrier uses to transport all the voice and data. They are also free. In fact, if you walk into AT&T office, show them your phone, they will give you a brand new cell tower and run the cable for free to your apartment. That does not cost anything, since you are only paying for your phone.

:rolleyes:

20. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Please don't just quote part of what i said. My point is that AT&T is just like any other company that earns money. If they pay Apple to sell iPhone then they must be earning those money back in some form. Or else they will be losing all the money they paid Apple.

Like what Meanee said, all the things he/she listed needs to be paid by customers BUT I am sure it's not as much as what customers are paying AT&T. Like i mentioned, or else AT&T will lose those money they paid Apple to sell iPhone.

21. Mrlal8 thread starter macrumors member

I created this thread so people can keep track of any new information they have on a possible unlock for the baseband

why are you complaining about att and how much they charge? Its called a business obviously you just dont hand people things at cost. what would be the purpose of ATT existing as a business if it was just giving handouts to people at the cost they get it at. The cell phone network industry is not a monopoly. Atts competitor is verizon and ATT is fairly priced because verizon keeps them in check...vice versa. $200 for a locked iphone with a 2 year contract renewal is MORE than a fair price considering youd have to pay for the service regardless Att is not a money sucking machine lol move on to tmobile $50 unlimited everything and enjoy their terrible service

22. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

sigh I wish someone would bring back those IMEI/NCK unlocks they had around mid-Spring 2011 :rolleyes: One can always hope haha.

Something people don't often realize is that unlocked phones aren't always just as easy as "oh just go out and buy one!". In countries other than the United States (yes, they exist), unlocked 4S devices are more expensive than the prices in the States. We think the prices here are expensive, but an unlocked phone in another nation may be even more expensive. Hopefully an unlock comes out though...A5 untethered jailbreak is out, so I'd imagine devs are rather bored right now ;) Hopefully they're progressing on an unlock heh.

23. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I am not complaining how much AT&T is charging cause I don't pay them. I am just pointing out the fact that you could just get an unlock iPhone because you are paying AT&T after all. Anyway, good luck with your waiting game.