4.2.1 -- does any sort of jailbreak exist for this?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BacklitFirefly, Dec 29, 2010.

1. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

It's an iPhone 4 with ios 4.2.1 and I want to jailbreak. Possible yet? If so, what is the best way?

2. BacklitFirefly thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Where can I find the tethered jailbreak? And is an untethered one better-- should I wait for that instead?

Also, for tethering iPhone, what is the best app? miwi or itether?

3. Clown Boy macrumors regular

What does tethered / untethered mean in this instance?

Last time I Jailbroke I used jailbreakme.com, my iPhone is faulty so needing to return and get a new one.

Where do I start?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am no expert, but my understanding is...

Tethered jailbreak - requires you to re-jailbreak after every re-start
    Untethered jailbreak - you do not have to re-jailbreak

Tethering using your iPhone or other device as a mobile hotspot is something totally different

5. BacklitFirefly thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, sorry! Yes, I know that about tethering my data connection being completely unrelated. I had my old 3g iphone jailbreaked before, primarily so I could get a data tethering app from cydia, and i want to do that again as soon as I can. Just wondered what the best app is.

I used miwi before. The battery life on the phone was notably compromised. I read that iTether uses bluetooth instead of wifi, and is therefore less of a drain on battery. Just was wondering.... I should do a new thread for that.

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The explanation is close but not quite 100 percent. You don't have to re-jailbreak every time but you need a computer to help the iphone boot. There is an option in the JB software redsn0w "boot Tethered" you plug the phone into the computer and select that option.

7. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

I don't want to change subjects, bit I really don't mean to start a new thread on this either since it's a really simple answer.

I know to downgrade from 4.2.1 you need SHSH blobs of 4.1 saved to your computer. I've had my ip4 since release day and backed up regularly on all iOS versions - so I should have mine saved somewhere yes? My question is where does iTunes store it. Willing to lose 4.2.1 to JB. Thanks.

8. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

iTunes does not store your SHSH blobs. You either need to back them up yourself using an application called TinyUmbrella or if jailbroken, go the the Cydia app and click "Make my life easier". If you are already jailbroken and have done this, the main page of Cydia will list what SHSH's you have on file on Saurik's server. Make sense?

9. BacklitFirefly thread starter macrumors 6502

and, does anyone know where I can find that available jb for 4.2.1? The tethered one? What's the name of it?

10. currentcomics1 macrumors newbie

MiWi works great to resolve the battery draining issue adjust under "advanced wifi" and change the "transmit power to around" 40% and you will not have much of a battery problem. Although your iPhone will need to be closer to the computer you are using. I can not speak on itether as I have not used it.

11. BacklitFirefly thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I didn't know about that setting.