4.2.1 JB to 4.2.1 factory - Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jdaniel, Apr 21, 2011.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Ok I regularly restore my phone when I am testing but its always JB to JB with pwned firmware... it is usually very quick and painless...

Now.. when I try to go from JB to stock... 4.2.1 to 4.2.1 it doesnt work and gives me an error 1013.. well i know its supposed to be because of the hosts file.. but for both, I have to run Tinyumbrella anyways to Sign the firmware... so whats the problem???

I am guessing I am missing something but it doesnt come to mind at the moment...

THANKS !

2. terraphantm macrumors 68040

You'll get error 1013 whenever the baseband fails to update. Since the baseband that was included in 4.2.1 is no longer being signed, the firmware update will always fail. Just use fix recovery after it's done restoring.

3. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

well isnt that the reason why we use tinyumbrella to sign the 4.2.1 or r u missing that part?

R u saying the 1013 is just normal no matter whether I use tinyumbrella or not?

4. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

5. fsck-y dingo, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I personally haven't had to do this but I believe it's normal and will happen every time. At the top of TinyUmbrella's interface there are options to enter, exit and fix recovery. What terraphantm is suggesting is to go about the restore as normal and when it finishes use the "Fix Recovery" button.

Added - Conveniently enough here's a new article explaining this. http://www.macworld.com/article/159413/2011/04/tinyumbrella_itunes_redux.html

Here's a screen capture of what I'm talking about. Notice that it mentions the 10XX (1013 falls under that) error you're experiencing.

Attached Files:

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

With the iPhone 4 there are two sets of SHSHs. One set for the firmware, which is what cydia and tinyunbrella store. The other is for the baseband, which neither Cydia nor tinyumbrella store (nor could they if they wanted to, since the baseband firmware's signature requirement changes everytime the modem reboots). The restore will never complete properly without the baseband signatures. You can manage to boot the phone if you use fixrecovery after the restore fails.

7. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

ok, how to fix it I get.. which is nice. THANKS

But why does this happen only with stock firmware and not pwned firmware? The pwning does something that prevents a baseband update check or something therefore.. I didnt/will not have an error message?

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

There's no baseband in the custom firmwares, so the phone doesn't attempt to update the baseband and the install procedure doesn't fail.

Even on the old iphones, if you attempted to restore to a firmware that had an older baseband than the one installed on the phone, the restore would fail even though the firmware installed fine. Kicking it out of recovery is trivial so it was never a big deal (the baseband protection crap added as of 4.2 is a problem for devices that don't have a bootrom exploit though... like the iPad 2)

9. Steve99 macrumors member

If you updated to 4.3.x and let the baseband update then you have the 4.10.01 baseband, you can no longer go back to 4.2.1 without having a jailbreak to allow a mismatched baseband version.

You will also notice if you're in a call and the other end hangs up your phone will say "call failed" and not "call ended" when using the 4.10.01 baseband with 4.2.1.

10. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

ah right ok... understood :) I am 3.10.01 now.. factory unlock tho so not a big deal but always good to keep it where it is.

11. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

when you get the 1013 error are you kicking it out of recovery mode? the 1013 error is fairly normal and not a big deal. tiny umbrella is used to trick itunes into thinking it's talking to apple. Without it you would never be able install firmware stops signing On the the 3gs and I4. Of course this is if you have shsh blobs saved. Also if you have a factory unlocked I wouldn't be to concerned about the baseband issue unless you think your carrier will request it be removed.

13. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

TU wont kick out of recovery OR fix recovery

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

my suggestion if you need help provide us with as much detail as you can. I am sure somebody in the forum can help. However we are not going to hunt for clues. Some questions you can answer. here is a decent tutorial.

http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unl...ving-shsh-blobs-w-tinyumbrella-jailbreak.html

what process have you gone through in the jailbreak?
    do you have shsh blobs saved?
    describe what happens if and when you kick it. where the error happens,

there are a ton of threads talking about this error too. most likely many have had the same problem. it's usually fixable or something done in error. you can also try irep to kick it on windows any way.

15. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

its all in my first post.. nothing special run TU coz i am restoring to 4.2.1 so yes i would have to have my blobs saved.. but that I think is far from being the issue...

issue is when i try to restore to factory firmware it gives that error code and as the people here have suggested, i should fix recovery which means putting it into dfu mode again and click fix recovery.. i also tried the simple exit recovery or whatever that is called but no luck.. so basically TU doesnt fix my problem and now i cant go back to stock.. un-pwned firmware...

but i will give ur link a read thanks

16. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Try downloading the separate fixrecovery application from tinyumbrella's website. I've had problems with the one built into tinyrecovery

17. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

not so confident it will work but i will try next time i attempt it :) which may not be soon but i wil post back THANKS

18. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

I am happy to report the standalone fix recovery.. works but after trying it a couple of times... it may not work first time round..