4.2.1 locking up...should I restore?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sbddude, Mar 31, 2011.

1. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I have some lock-up issues with my iphone 4 (GSM). It currently has 4.2.1 and I have SHSH saved in Cydia. It came with 4.2.1 originally, but at the time I jailbroke with redsn0w (tethered). When greenpois0n came out I jailbroke again without restoring.

Recently I've been seeing a lot of reboots/lock ups, about 1-2 times every 2 days. I am thinking of doing a restore but I am hesitating because everything is set up perfectly how I like it. It would take several hours to put it back the way I like it, and I would lose things like angry birds scores.

I guess the other alternative is to try removing cydia packages one at a time until I find the cuplrit, or just live with it.

I have the following installed:

Bold means I installed it recently
    Italic means i don't use it (often) and it would be the first to try removing

2. wolverine9827 macrumors newbie

I have the same thing happening to me. I close almost everything constantly with the exception of the iPod Player (since I'm almost always listening to audio books.) I can usually tell when it is about to lock up when I either start biteSMS or the Email app and they both attempt to load and then disappear. At that point I usually head off the lockup by bringing down SBSettings and doing a reboot.

In comparing your list with mine, you have a lot more cydia apps installed then I do... and I have a few you don't... I'll list what we have in common first:

Activator
    SBSettings - Airplane Toggle
    AppStore Update Size
    Autolock SBSettings
    BigBoss Icon Set
    biteSMS
    Cydia Installer (1.1.1 or whatever the new one is)
    Cydia Translations
    Five Icon Dock
    IntelliStatusBarIcons
    libdisplaystack
    LibWeather
    Lockinfo
    Repo Icons
    Safari DL Plugin
    Saurik Source
    SBSettings
    sbsettingstoggles

Apart from that I have additional packages:
    animate
    AppSync for iOS 4.x+
    AppSync for iOS 4.2
    attachment= for mailto:
    Chronus
    CyDelete
    Cyntact
    EZDecline
    FakeClockUp
    Fast Copy
    iBlacklist
    iCallAnnounce
    Iconoclasm
    Iconoclasm Layouts
    Installous 4
    Lockinfo Weather Plugin
    Multifl0w
    PreferenceLoader
    Recent/CallLog Delete
    SBSettings Tethering Toggle
    TetherMe
    TetherMe APN Editing
    TetherMe Preferences
    USB Drive
    5-Row Keyboard iOS4

I was suspecting Lockinfo since it was updated recently and was also starting to think FakeClock could be my culprit.... I might have to start with what we have in common though and you're not running FakeClock.... I did notice that when I enable RAM and DATE to be displayed on the statusbar in SBSettings, it seemed I locked up a lot quicker... I might start with SBSettings and all the add-ons for it and see what happens..... I'll let you know..... I really don't want to start over again with another load of JB 4.2.1....

3. sbddude thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's really useful info.

I also have the RAM displayed in the title bar but I've had that there for a long time so I didn't think of that as a problem.

Lockinfo is one of my favorites and would hate to see that go.

4. wolverine9827, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

wolverine9827 macrumors newbie

Same here. I've gotten really used to having Lockinfo in place.
    I did want to mention one thing.... When Cydia upgraded itself it sort of hung at the end... like it had completed but couldn't generate the "Respring" or "Reboot Phone" (or whatever) button and I chalked it up to Cydia upgrading itself.... once I rebooted the phone, everything seemed ok but Cydia was giving me some weirdness on an upgrade of "libstatusbar" like the source wasn't available..... yesterday, libstatusbar finally updated w/o error (I updated biteSMS too) and no lockups as of yet..... I'll keep updating....

UPDATE: Just locked up tight again.... right after receiving a voicemail notification..... BTW, I'm also using Bluetooth (stereo headset only - not data transfer or sync) - just thought I'd throw that out there.

Another UPDATE: After rebooting using SBSettings I attempted to load the iPod player and poof! HUNG AGAIN! This time I performed a power off using SBSettings. After booting back up things look ok for now.... I think I'll take off SBSettings the next time it hangs....

5. sbddude thread starter macrumors 6502a

After yesterdays updates in Cydia I haven't had a lock up since. I let it do the respring on its own even though it took a while sitting at the black screen with the spinning indicator. Everything seems OK since then.

Another question for wolverine....did you jailbreak using greenpois0n or redsn0w or both?

6. wolverine9827, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

wolverine9827 macrumors newbie

funny you should ask.... I'm on an office network with heavy proxying and filtering and as such I can't use Greenpois0n. Redsn0w wasn't an option as I avoid tethered JB's like the plague. I ended up having to use Sn0wbreeze 2.2.1 since it is all inclusive and doesn't need network access though I had to download it through my phone using the download manager for safari and transfer it to my PC using iFunBox.... a pita but it worked. I've heard of many issues with sn0wbreeze but everything worked for me and I have the ipsw's it generated ready for reload if/when I decide/need to. I absolutely HAD to get to 4.2.1 to fix the bluetooth problems apple took their sweet time fixing (mainly AVRCP).... and for now see no need to go to 4.3.1 until I see the fallout from the first round of JB attempts.... I'm starting to think my cydia update weirdness might be my culprit.... and it could also be the theme I'm running (Black UPS Darkness)..... if it's cydia weirdness then a reload/cleanout is my only real option at this point.....

Update: Just thought I'd throw out that I have never had my phone just reboot on its own... it's always a hang/lock up.

Weekend Update:
    No Lockups all weekend. :)

7. sbddude thread starter macrumors 6502a

i bit the bullet and did a fresh restore today. i was going to try to stay on 4.2.1 but i wasn't able to, so I went ahead with 4.3.1.

So far so good. i am being careful about what I install in cydia and monitoring for any issues.

8. iMattcotv, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Our situation is basically the exact same.

Heres what I have (this is all the crap i remember off by heart, everything here is essential to me):

bite sms
    dimmer
    fastsnap
    folderenhancer
    iFile
    Key logger
    landscape lock rotation
    lockscreen clock hide
    mark dead
    MyWi
    Passcode lock prevent
    Safari download manager
    SBSett
    SBSwitcher
    Serious SBSettings HD
    SpringFlash
    SpringFlash SBSettings
    SynTones
    Winterboard

(NOTE: things that are auto-installed are not mentioned, like Activator)
    I found my iPhone 4 locking up about 3x a day, mostly when I use the appswitcher and Cydia.. I didnt bother finding out what caused it because I didnt download anything recent except for the regular package updates..

Anyway, I have been trying to restore back to 4.2.1 and its not working, at all.. I tried Redsnow, tiny umbrella + itunes, itunes + hosts fix etc etc, everything was done in correct form (90% sure, I read like 400 pages on how to do each method and copied them over and over)..

Im currently going to try using a custom firmware and put my phone into 'pwnd dfu' and restore via iTunes with the custom firmware, see what happens..

If everything fails, im going to update to 4.3.1 and jailbreak. UGH I wish this type of thing was easier.. You would think that by now the whole 'downgrading from unsigned software' would be more consistent and stable.

PS: For those who are using 4.3.1, are there any compatibility issues with Cydia and extensions???

Please let me know of any issues!