4.2.1 - Mute switch doesn't work

Discussion in 'iPad' started by steele77, Nov 24, 2010.

1. steele77 macrumors newbie

I updated my iPad to 4.2.1 (8C148) earlier this week and a strange thing has happened.....

The new mute switch does not work :confused: When I switch it I get the icon display on the screen saying mute (well a speaker with a line through it) but the sound stays on. I can bring the volume down using the rocker

Anyone else have this problem or a suggestion on how to fix it?

2. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

It only mutes notifications, not audio from media. This has been covered, just search in this forum for mute and you would have had your answer a lot quicker.

3. steele77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I just found a thread after posting...thanks

Good thing I didn't try and ring Apple Support ;) who are currently closed according to their telephone message.

4. RibbitX macrumors newbie

5. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

The reason is so, if you wanna sit back and watch something, you can choose to turn off all those annoying beeps and buzzes all the time.

6. jcmeyer5 macrumors 6502

Ahhhh... So that is how it works. Would be nice if it dialed notifications altogether... no popups either (calendar reminders, AIM messages, eBay reminders, etc). As is, the sounds aren't what bugs me the most, and I'd rather not go into settings to disable. If the idea is doe uninterrupted media playing, the popups would need to go.

Then again, the setting is probably there already but I just haven't been using it.