4.2.1 WiFi probs

Discussion in 'iPad' started by naujoks, Nov 26, 2010.

  1. naujoks macrumors 6502

    naujoks

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2008
    Location:
    London, UK
    #1
    Am I the only one who, since updating to 4.2.1, has problems connecting to the net via WiFi? The antenna symbol shows it's connected, yet I don't get a Data IP address, so subsequently am not connected to the internet.
     
  2. zetsurin macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2007
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
    #2
    I have issues with my WIFI since updating but they seem different to yours. In my situation, the internet will work fine bu periodically the ipad will be unable to reach aky websites unless i renew my DHCP lease in network settings. In my router config ive even set up a permanent lease or disabled DHCP and used a static IP but to no avail. I didnt have this issue prior to updating.
     
  3. JulianL macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Location:
    London, UK
    #3
    I have the same as this but I've had it to differing degreees ever since I got my iPad with 3.2. I've also tried all sorts of router config, static IP address, hard coding the Google or OpenDND DNS server, etc.

    I also have Filebrowser from Stratospherix on my iPad (http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/filebrowser-access-files-on/id364738545?mt=8) which I use to access files on my NAS and when access to stuff on the internet dies (just like you are describing) I have found that I can go straight to FileBrowser and mount my NAS and it connects immediately and at that point I can immediately switch back to my browser or the AppStore or whatever it was that just locked up on me and at that point I then have connectivity back (for a few minutes, before it dies on me again). The network stack seems to get "clogged up" in some way and just the process of doing the NAS mount in File Browser seems to unclog it for a while. It's very wierd.

    This is why I played quite a lot with trying other DNS servers because the fact that File Browser always had network capability to do the mount made me wonder if it was something in the DNS resolution that was breaking since my NAS is defined to my iPad via an explicit IP address. Maybe I need to write down an IP address for a big site like www.google.com and the next time I get a lock up in the browser then I'll try to immediately access it via a direct IP address and see if that works which would also point the finger at the bit of the WiFi stack that is breaking being DNS.

    - Julian
     
  4. zetsurin, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

    zetsurin macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2007
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
    #4
    Very interesting. I just updated my router firmware as a newer firmware was available which claims to improve iPhone connectivity. Could be my imagination, but the issue seems less frequent but did just occur after 1 hour of surfing just now. When it happened I pointed safari to the router's admin screen (192.168.1.1) and immediately switched back to the offending website and it started responding again. Very strange issue, but I have loads of different gadgets here, and only the iPad has the problem so I think it's to blame here.

    I'll try plugging in an old airport express I have to see if that magically solves the issue.

    EDIT: just happened twice in the last 10 mins. Annoying...
     
  5. JulianL macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Location:
    London, UK
    #5
    Very interesting. That does seem to support what I'm seeing. Basic IP transmission remains just fine, it seems to be something somewhere in the DNS lookup or DNS cache corruption that is hitting us here.

    For me it does definitely seem to be router specific because I have two routers, one a Linksys and the other a Netgear. My Netgear works fine, it is my Linksys that causes the problems (and unfortunately the Netgear is required by my ISP but it doesn't support WPA2 which is why I put all my critical stuff such as my NAS and my desktop PC file systems hidden behind the more secure Linksys router so this is the one I really need to connect to.

    Just a warning about your "only the iPad has the problem" comment. I hope you don't end up where I have but I said the same thing a week ago because my iPhone 4 worked perfectly with my Linksys router but now, after the 4.2.1 update, my iPhone 4 is behaving in a very similar way to my iPad.

    You probably saw from another thread I just started that I'm considering replacing my router but that's another story ...

    - Julian
     
  6. Kainz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2010
    #6
    There's a thread about it in the iPad Troubleshooting forum.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1054466

    My Wifi+3G pad is pretty much crippled because of this bug. I end up having to rely on 3G via o2 just to get internet connectivity.

    I've tried changing channels, wifi modes etc without any luck. I've never ever had a single issue with wifi and my present Netgear 834N and its plain to see that either the pad or the OS has some issues.

    I am presently trying various things now including trying a different router, but so far I've got no where.
     
  7. JulianL macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2010
    Location:
    London, UK
    #7
    One other thought. If you bookmark 192.168.1.1 then maybe you've at least got a slightly faster way of recovering the connection when it locks up! I might do that myself.

    Kainz - thanks for the link. I hope Apple do get on top of this. Clearly we're in a minority here now, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating for us.

    - Julian
     

Share This Page