4.2 addresses 4.1 battery issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by desrosiers13, Nov 3, 2010.

1. desrosiers13 macrumors newbie

has anyone who was having battery draining problems on 4.1 see it fixed with the 4.2 gm release?

I have the 3Gs and the 3rd gen iPod touch that were affected.

I actually started using my 1st gen iPhone because of this battery issue. on 4.0.2, my 3gs would get almost 3 days, then with 4.1 I hit about 5 hours and it ran rather warm.

Just curious if anyone has noted a fix.. thanks!

Dave

2. Jeff Flowerday, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

I had the same issue with my last gen touch. I did a full restore, solved it for me. Now 4.1 last for days and days.

3. desrosiers13 thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried the same thing. I read that all over the internet and it never worked for me. same with my phone. i took my touch to apple and it was replaced because the diagnostic test shows i had a "bad battery". funny how it lasted all week before I updated and then it read bad battery.

perhaps my iPhone would read the same thing. anyone try the new 4.2 on the 3GS?

4. zephxiii macrumors 6502

I initially had bad battery life with 4.1 on a 3GS, but I did the home+power reboot and disabled game center push notifications and it has been fine since.

5. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

So far, it hasn't been fixed for me. Like, I can't leave the phone on over night because it'll be down to like 10% in the morning from 90% before I went to bed.

I just restored and am restoring my latest backup and see if that's gonna make a difference.

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Never had the issue in the first place in 4.1 and i'm not worse for wear in 4.2.

I had a fully charged phone at 10am this morning and went out. Used GPS/Maps/compass for about 30mins straight, then Safari browsing (3G/Edge) for 10-15mins, music playback 1hr+and lots of texting.

I have BT off, WiFi on but no ask to join, notifications off, screen at 45% brightness plus auto brightness. email fetch every hour (3 accounts) and push contacts and calendar.

I'm still at 79% and its 4.45PM

7. desrosiers13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you install the 4.2 gm and you see no difference? or are you talking just from your 4.1 experience?

8. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

I'm referring to 4.2 beta 3 and 4.2 GM. Both had the same problem.

Will update and see if restoring and then restoring from backup'll help.

9. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Restoring from latest backup would be more likely to bring the problem back. Start fresh, don't do much to it and see how it runs first.

10. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

Yeah I know, I just thought it'd be worth a try anyway because starting fresh and then manually getting all my data back (namely all the apps) is a massive pain.

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

4.2 seems much better for me with my iPhone 4.

My battery life halved when 4.1 came out, but it seems to be much more like it was with 4.0.2 and earlier now.

12. BaritoneGuy macrumors newbie

I was having a terrible time on 4.1 with my 3Gs. It was running hot and consuming battery life like crazy. Sometimes it would die in 3-4 hours without even using the phone. I even tried a test by charging it to 100% and not touching it to see how long it lasted. It died after 4 hours and I didn't even unlock it.

I saw this post a couple of days ago, but wanted to wait. I have been running the 4.2 GM for 3 days now and the battery life is way better. It doesn't get hot any more either. I feel it is back to where it should be.

I was getting pretty frustrated, but all is good now.

13. desrosiers13 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is good news to hear! I reinstalled 4.1 and I decided not to touch my phone at all. All of a sudden the battery life is great! Then I put my MobileMe email on and set to push. There went my battery. Also location services. Using the maps kills it and so does the push email. So my mail is set to manual check and location services are off. Nice to hear that there is hope with 4.2. My fingers are crossed. Thanks for the reply.