4.2 beta 1 ringtone weirdness

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmwhd, Sep 18, 2010.

1. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Before I open a defect on this, just wondering if the reason my purchased ringtones sync but won't play on my IP4 running 4.2 beta 1 is by design?

Did they disable the ones you'd already purchased when they changed the iTunes policy? My home made ones work fine.

2. Magic Pad macrumors newbie

i have the same issue on 4.2 B1 (running on an IP4). I also tried and d/l a new ringtone, but same issue (you can select it, but it wont play etc). I have already put in a bug.

G

3. bmwhd thread starter macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Thanks. I won't file one then.

4. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

I am currently running the 4.2 beta on my 3GS & I have none of the issues that iPhone 4 owners are experiencing! Actually I find this Beta to be very, very stable. I even installed it via iTunes on Windows 7 32bit didn't even need umbrella to kick it out of recovery mode!

5. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

NO..... You should File a Bug Report with Apple!
    The more people that file Bug Reports regarding the same issue the more likely Apple will fix & resolve the issue.

6. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

That's nearly as bad as voting to correct bugs.

7. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

WRONG! Thats like saying a recall should be issued for the iPhone 4 when only 10% have the signal issue:rolleyes:

Where do you people get your common sense from?

Lets see if it were me designing a OS and I relied on filed Bug Reports to correct issues existing in the O.S then I would evaluate which is issues are most wide spread & common to most users by the amount of bug reports filed for each particular issue.

10 People Complain & file a Bug Report ....Appears to be a Isolated Issue! ( Does Not Take Priority for things to fix!)

100 People Complain & file a Bug Report......(Holy Shi@T Houston We Have A Problem!)

Follow the Logic Through Simplicity????:D

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

That's not the way we work in the software development industry, well (did), web (vBulletin) at least.

Duplicate reports are closed, and nothing else is taken from it. It doesn't tell us how wide-spread it is. The majority of users don't care if there's a bug - as long as it is sorted out.

I've seen 73 bug reports for a really minor thing. In fact, it was so minor that instructions were given how to correct it. That bug didn't affect the overall usability or functioning of the web application, but it existed by people playing and exploring with the software.

One of the nightmares for bug tracking managers are duplicate reports - many times the developers do not see that there are a lot of duplicates, just that the bug has been confirmed by more than one case.

I get my common sense from being: Information Systems Manager, Senior Web Developer and working in Quality Assurance Teams. This is the simple logic we've followed every time. The aim is to eradicate as many bugs as possible.

Ever heard of report priorities? This is where the reporter can specific whether the issue is a show stopper, a blocker or whatever. This determines the order and priority in which cases are fixed/looked at.

If 100 people report a bug about a misspelling and 12 people report a bug about a a component which is failing, and causing the system to fail, which do you address first, the misspelling?

9. rick41: macrumors newbie

10. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

It is only available for developers, who have paid a subscription fee of $99.

11. bmwhd thread starter macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

BTW, while I'll not go into specifics here - those considering jumping in to this particular beta for grins rather than serious development and testing (at least on the IP4) - don't. It's shall we say...um...obviously a beta 1...

Note - not complaining nor criticizing Apple - Just trying to save tire kickers some frustration. Lots of good stuff to be testing if that's what you're doing but loading this one on a phone you depend on just for grins is even less recommended than usual.

12. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Thats good advice for those with a iPhone 4 considering I have seen nothing but major complaints from those with it installed on their iPhone 4........Sorry you guys are having such a hard go with this release.