4.2 gm downgrade? Is it possible?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by okrelayer, Nov 3, 2010.

1. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

Hey guys. Is it possible to downgrade to the last iPad update before 4.2 gm was released. Some of these app bugs I would rather be ironed out before I continue to use 4.2. Is this easily possible?

2. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

AFAIK it is not possible. But hang tight, shouldn't be more than 7-10 until it's released officially, at which point I believe you can the upgrade to the general release.

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

The GM is the same as the general release.

4. Ksane macrumors regular

I downgraded back to 3.2.2 from 4.2 GM a few hours ago. Re-jail broke and am doing fine. I uninstalled all traces of iTunes 10.1 beta 2 and installed iTunes 9.2 went into DFU mode running Tiny Umbrella and shift+restored (on Win7) to my 3.2.1 firmware and restored. The only glitch I ran into is iTunes 9.2 said at 1st it couldn't open because the .itl (iTunes Library file, I guess) was from a newer version. I just did a search for that file and deleted it and all went well from there.
    I downgraded because I was having strange wifi problems. I've never had a single wifi problem before, not even with the betas, until 4.2 GM. I hope that's not the final version. That would suck.

5. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

The GM is intended to be the final version, but the fact that it hasn't been released to the general public still allows Apple the opportunity to make changes if anything is found that is deemed serious enough to warrant immediate attention.

There is no law that prevents them making changes between a GM and a general release.

6. THiPad macrumors member

How did u remove all traces of iTunes 10.1 beta2???

Did you just use ADD/REMOVE programs? I am running Windows XP, and
    when I put iTunes beta 2 on, it crashed and messed up my computer
    and even after unibstalling and then reinstalling the older iTunes 10.1 it still wont open up.

I had to go to my Windows Vista computer to sync my iPad running 4.2GM.

There must be a remnant file from iTunes Beta2 somewhere on my computer.

Any help wpuld be appreciated.
    :)

7. Ksane macrumors regular

After I removed it in add/remove programs (which I'm sure Microsoft was glad to do lol) I deleted all the folders in Windows Explorer that iTunes stores its stuff in (after making a copy of my .ipa files/apps) and used EasyCleaner registry cleaner. Bonjour services also needs uninstalled. It seems like there were 3 separate iTunes related programs that needed uninstalled from Add/Remove Programs. And like I said-there was still an " iTunes Library.itl " file that the older version of iTunes informed me it couldn't start because of so I had to do a search of all my files to find it then deleted it.

8. THiPad macrumors member

Thank you Ksane so much for your clear answers...will get the Easy Cleaner Registry program and look for the .itl and .ipa files. Wish me luck!!:)

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

Personally if you're on windows I find CCleaner to be a far better software... just my opinion.