4.2 GM to 4.2 Final question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ri0ku, Nov 3, 2010.

1. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Ok so I am not a developer or anything but I know you can install the GM of 4.2 on an ipad without being one. I think I might do this today but my question is, if I put the GM on my iPad what happens when the final version comes out? will it automatically install/update via iTunes?

Thanks

(Also I think its pretty lame that its took nearly 6 Months for Apple to release an OS update to things the iPad should have had at launch) but just my opinion

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Unless bugs are found in the GM that are serious enough to stop it going live the GM is the the same as the final version. That's the whole point of it.

3. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I know that, but my question is when they release the Final version to the public via iTunes do the ipads with the GM on get updated to the "official" final release?

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What part of "is the same" is confusing. Of course they don't get updated: they GM is identical to the mythical final so iTunes doesn't see them as different so it doesn't update.

6. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

... The GM will have been named different in its file structure surely? like when You get updates for games for example, when a GM is released to testers then the final Version is released to public it replaces the GM.

No need for the attitude I am only asking for a question to be answered. You didn't answer it you replied with something I already Knew and did not ask about. Sheesh

7. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well my iPad is currently jailbroken so I can use things like Backgrounder and SBsettings. Lately its started to be really slow and apps keep quitting more frequently now, Tried hard resetting etc but eventually it happens again. So I was thinking of just restoring it back to the original OS without jailbreaking it, then I thought hmm maybe il just use this chance to try out the new 4.2 GM.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Don't know how it works for games, but with iOS, the GM has been the same as the final release.

9. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

They had to find a way of implementing some of the iOS 4 enhancements within the operating RAM that is available on the iPad.

Many people complained about how much the iPad cost, and if they'd rolled it out with the same memory the iPhone had, or more, then it would have cost even more.

I guess we could argue about it all day long, from different perspectives, but they just had to make a decision, and they made it.

Then their challenge was finding a way to implement an iOS 4+ on the iPad that effectively utilised its memory profile.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Correct, Apple comply with several ISO standards and other certs house, when they released a GM to Developer they "have" to release the same build to the public, if a mayor bug or show stopper is found, they "have" to release a revision to the GM ..so instead of being 4.2.0 GM, would be 4.2.1 or 4.2.0.1 something lika that. "if" the 4.2.0 see the light of day it will be the same build number as the GM.

And to answer the actual OP question, it will no update to the "official", itunes checks for "build" number, since the GM would be the same "build" as the "official" it will no update it (unless you do it manually of course or there is a revision to the GM 4.2.1 etc.)

11. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah cheers mate that answers the question.

12. jeme macrumors regular

So how would one get the Gold 4.2 release without paying to be a developer - I want the release bad myself. THanks

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Google is your Friend....

Discussing about that is against this forums rules sorry.

14. jeme macrumors regular

So google is my friend and I have what I need I think. Can someone coach me oh what to do if I have some files say - itunes beta - say install that first and then the os update? How do I specifically install it? Please tell me if we are not to discuss this here - or perhaps pm me. Thanks so much!

15. iketeru macrumors member

no. i've used the GM in iPhone for 4.1 for a while, and the build number is unchanged in the official update. nor does iTunes even tell me to update my software, because they're the same thing.

16. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

There's a video on YouTube that might be of help to you.

17. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It is not always the same. Look at ios 4.0 gm.

18. shandyman Suspended

i had 4.0 there wasn't a difference was there?

19. monksealpup macrumors regular

Does this discussion have to go on every time there's a new GM?

20. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Yes.

21. Pinger macrumors regular

Correct me if I'm wrong BUT you can always revert back to iOS 3.2 then update to the final version of iOS 4.2... Yes??
    At least that was my plan when I installed 4.2GM.. If not I honestly wouldn't care since the GM version has been practically flawless and a MUCH better OS then 3.2..

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can, if you do it quickly enough, before Apple stops signing 3.2. Or you can overwrite the GM with the official release of 4.2 by doing shift/option+restore. But there is no point in doing that, because the GM and the official release will be THE SAME THING. When the official release comes out, download it and do a hash check and compare with the GM. They will be the same file.

23. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

This 4.2 gm has serious wifi bugs with non apple wifi routers so I'd avoid. The the threads below this in this forum.

24. shandyman Suspended

well i'm having no problems with the belkin or linksys routers at home, the BT Openzone public ones or the one at work. so seems hit and miss on this problem.

25. Pinger macrumors regular

Same here but honestly there are too many reporting wifi issues for Apple to release this version as final.. A Poll here is reporting a 50-50 split for wifi problems and no wifi problems, which obviously at face value seems a bit high, but even if it turns out to be only 15 to 20% with wifi problems that is just too many.. I think it would be unwise for Apple to inflict glitches and dissatisfaction into it's iPad market, especially to new customers who will return it and jump on one of the new Tablets competitors will be releasing.