4.2 GM1 to 4.2 final?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by steffi, Nov 22, 2010.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

How do you get there if iTunes says you are current?

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

4.2.1 is the actual release

Go here http://ios.e-lite.org/ and download iPad 4.2.1

Open itunes with iPad connected, hold shift (or whatever the mac equivelant is) and click on Upgrade. Locate the firmware and it will upgrade to 4.2.1

3. CorruptedSanity macrumors member

I had the same issue because i was on 4.2gm .kept hitting update and getting the 'ur up to date'. So i realized I had to downgrade to 3.2.2 then allow iTunes to upgrade me. Luckily I had my blobs shah backed up and was able to download. You can of course do what the above poster said and manually fierce install it but I prefer to do it the natural way.

4. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

You absolutely did NOT have to do that. There was nothing more "natural" about that method. the other method is not "fierce" or forcing anything that the other process doesn't do as well, you just get to pick the file used.

As previously mentioned 4.2.1 can be downloaded locally and then using the option (Mac) or shift (PC) + click update you can select the proper ipsw. Doesn't even erase the content on the device.

5. CorruptedSanity macrumors member

Then how would I upgrade? I was not prompted by iTunes to upgrade to 4.2.1 because I was on 4.2 GM.
    I had to downgrade to trigger iTunes to allow me to update.

6. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I clicked "check for updates" and iTunes said I could upgrade to 4.2.1. i was on 4.2 GM1.

7. CorruptedSanity macrumors member

well good for you... but it kept telling me I was up to date.

8. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

I had a similar problem and I had to get back to 3.2.2 first before I upgraded to 4.2.1.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That's because if you are on 4.2.1GM is the same build as the 4.2.1 final, no need to upgrade, if you are on 4.2GM or 4.2GMb iTunes will update you to 4.2.1 some people may see a delay but it will show up. You can always manually download and install it, but as i siad if you are on 4.2.1GM you don't have to.

10. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

I was still using beta 3. And I couldn't upgrade to 4.2.1. I got the message others had gotten, already upto date. Manual update wouldnt work either. I had to restore back to 3.2.2 first. All good now.

11. CorruptedSanity macrumors member

No I wasnt on 4.2.1 GM. I wason 4.2 .

Which is different than 4.2.1 GM.

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Could be maybe because your device is not registered as developer? I had beta3 running and the 4.2.1 update show up right up in itunes

13. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

No, it was registered as a developer. I paid my dues ;).

14. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

As one commenter posted above, you can upgrade from the 4.2 betas to 4.2.1 by this method:

1) Download the final release on the internet. A lot of rumour sites on Monday posted direct download links for the software. These links download from Apple and are legal. Redmond Pie always does it. I would give you a link, but forum moderators sometimes don't like it for things like this.

2)Once the download is complete, open iTunes and connect your iPad. The next instruction varies by OS:
    Mac: Hold down Option key and click "Check for Updates". iTunes will give you a window to select the file you downloaded.
    Windows: Hold down left Shift key and click "Check for Updates". iTunes will give you a window to select the file you downloaded.

That's it. Super easy.

15. thegman1234 macrumors 6502

thegman1234

Hey guys, hate to bring up an old thread, but I'm a little out of date on this. I tried updating from 4.2GM1 to 4.2.1 tonight and I had no success at all. iTunes kept telling me I was up to date, so I tried to do a clean restore assuming that iTunes would download the latest software from Apple's server. Well that failed because it couldn't locate the necessary files... however that happens. So I tried doing an alt restore with a download I found of 4.2.1 and THAT failed as well because my device was not eligible for the build. Any ideas?

By the way, I can't update to 4.2GMb either.

I have everything backed up and I don't keep a lot on the iPad anyway so I'm willing to do a clean wipe if that's necessary.

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Did you get it from Apple? iClarified has the link.

17. thegman1234 macrumors 6502

thegman1234

Yeah, I got it from Apple's server. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that the version of iTunes I used to do the update was the now defunct beta 10.1. I'm using the current 10.1.1 now.

Maybe it's been too long and it won't update from that old iOS software? Doesn't Apple put limits on these things? Or would it have no expired because it's a GM

Should I just DFU the thing?

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you've got a backup and don't mind it can't hurt. That'll probably solve your problem right there.

19. thegman1234 macrumors 6502

thegman1234

Yeah, I really don't mind at all, I'm just afraid it'll get jammed up in DFU mode or will continue to not update.

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I could see that being a roadblock. I had an ipsw do that to me once and it turned out to be a corrupt download from Apple. I deleted it, re-downloaded and it installed fine. Maybe try that first since you're apprehensive ... and rightly so.

21. thegman1234 macrumors 6502

thegman1234

You know what? I redownloaded the ipsw for 4.2.1 from iClarified and this time it worked. I don't get technology sometimes. Thank you for all your help.

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm glad that worked for you! and you're quite welcome.

Sometimes I wonder how any of this digital tech works at all. The amount of error correction that goes on is insane.

Merry Christmas!

... now I'm hittin' the hay.