4.2 GMb still has the wifi problem!!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 9382725, Nov 12, 2010.

1. 9382725 Suspended

Okay, I upgraded my iPad from 4.2 GM to GMb few hours ago.

It was working fine until just a moment ago.....

The same glitch. Wifi signal on, but the internet stopped working.

So I had to turn off the Wifi and turn it on again, and now it's working again.

I am afraid that the 4.2 GMb version did not fully get this issue handled...

2. jsh macrumors regular

3. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Could you give us an update please? Was this a one-off glitch or is the title of the thread indeed true (for you)?

4. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I still have 3.2.whatever the last release was and I still don't have wifi problems. I've used on different wifi connections as well. Home, friends house, public wifi, mywi, never once disconnected from the Internet.

I haven't been keeping up with the 4.2 threads. Did 4.2 betas cause a wifi problem that I wouldnt be experiencing?

5. gabriel925fm macrumors member

I don't have the conection issue that some of you are talking about but i feel that the internet speed is very slow. Im going to do some speedtest to compare and i'll report back. Is anyone having this issue also?

6. Camazza macrumors newbie

Same issue here. The "b" version does not disconnect, but it hangs for a bit and even when it works it's painfully slow compared to 3.2.2.

7. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Those still with the issue: if you could choose, what would you have Apple do? Hold back the public release until they've resolved your issues 100%, or release as it stands and keep working on it (with full public availability)?

(Genuine question, I'm gauging how serious you feel the continuing issues are.)

8. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

maybe all the people in this thread with the GM build installed (all developers of course!) should log the issue via the developer channel as they should be doing.

afterall, the GM build is only for developers, not for end-users.

9. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I think this is a one off. I had zero point zero issues with either 3.2 or the 4.2 GM. I think that expectations are unreasonably high, the OP is not really sure how things work or this is an isolated incident.

10. SkywalkerMac macrumors newbie

i installed 4.2b yesterday and it's working fine for me, i didn't have any issues with the wifi. Maybe instead of updating to 4.2 you should "restore" to 4.2, that's what i did.

:)

11. RhythmGuru macrumors member

RhythmGuru

Interesting

I haven't had the disconnect, but today while surfing facebook it did appear to stall for a bit, but then continued to load after a short wait. Not sure if it was facebook or the iPad, as other sites seem to be fine and loading fast. Definitely no disconnects since going from gm to gmb. I don't notice a general slowdown from 3.2.2.

12. Angel841 macrumors newbie

The only problem I have is that when I turn on the ipad it does not connect automatic to my home network or iphone in mywi. I have to connect manually.

13. Battlestar macrumors 6502

It looks like we are going to have to wait until the end of November for the public release. You would think that Apple would have gotten the WiFi connectivity 100% before they did anything else.

14. shandyman Suspended

well the wifi issue only cropped up in the GM, so by not doing a public release with the existing GM and doing this 'b' GM release, isn't that doing everything they can..... lol

15. 9382725 thread starter Suspended

hmmm

I'm the OP.

It is to my opinion that the Wifi disconnection problem is now noticeably reduced. It's not happening that frequently anymore..

However, I did have one more glitch after my first post...

Same style....wifi signal present, but internet stopped working...

So I had to turn off & reboot my iPad. After that, it's working fine...at the moment...

I suspect the issue is not completely gone.....yet.

16. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

I had the problem consistently with the first GM, I couldn't use wifi for more than 15 seconds before it cut out totally and resetting network settings only gave me another 15 seconds of use. I've been using the 2nd GM since mid-day yesterday (for a total of about 4 hours of use) and everything has been perfect. Not a single hiccup with the wifi connection.

17. morsecp macrumors regular

morsecp

Little or no problems with either release.

I have installed, and used extensively, both GM releases. With the first I had no problem staying connected, but I did seem to notice that after waking from sleep the iPad seemed to not be connected anymore and took a second to regain its connection. However, this required no action from me. The new GM has only been installed for about 20 hours, but I have had zero issues. I'm wondering if the problems some of you are experiencing are specific to certain wireless environments or the way the update was installed. I actually installed the first GM twice. The first time I simply updated and things seemed to work. However, after some "funny" behavior with a few of my apps I decided to do a full restore from backup. Nothing really changed as the problems I was having were due to app iOS 4.2 incompatibility. When I installed the newest GM I did a full restore and then used my backup to regain my pre-restore settings. In each case I have connected at home to an airport extreme/express wireless setup, and at the University on their campus wide network. I only noticed the lack of wireless when waking from sleep on the University network.

18. WilliamG macrumors 604

I suggest people with issues here do a full RESTORE to 4.2 GMb, rather than an upgrade.

19. badmac78 macrumors 6502

No issues

I have experienced no issues with the original GM or the upgrade. When I upgraded to both, they were full reinstalls.
    :confused:

20. 9382725 thread starter Suspended

took your advice, and did a full restore from 4.2 GMb to 4.2 GMb

now let's see how it will do.....

21. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

This is beta people. Restore.

I performed a restore to 4.2GM and have not had a WiFi issue on several networks over the course of two weeks.

These included Starbucks 10-20 feet.
    College 802.xx Enterprise 5-100 feet.
    Home Airport N Extreme 25 feet.

I am not going to bother with 'b' as I perform A RESTORE AS NEW AS APPLE SUGGESTS in the read me.

22. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

OK, I'm not going to lie to you, but this may be a problem at your end, not with the software.

I say this because I have experienced this WiFi issue on two iPads both running 3.2.2 at a friends house, but only there. My iPad runs fine at my uni and at home, as well as on the WiFi at my fiancée's office. But I can get the issue to consistently reappear at my friends house and only at his house. I'm not sure if it is his router or intereference from the neighbours, but it is definitely localised.

23. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

I'm not a developer though I have the 4.2 GM b installed. Rather than experiencing slow or lost wifi connection, I think my connection has been better. No issues whatsoever. In fact pages in Safari seems to load faster. Switching to multiple pages are faster.

I guess i will probably test it more in order to provide a better opinion but that said this are my current findings.

24. JulianL macrumors 65816

I think that's the problem with all this. It seems very clear to me that the issues are related to certain router setups or even worse, as you very astutely mention above (I haven't seen many others pick up this point), it might be even worse than just particular router models affected, it might be as subtle as particular router models that happen to be sharing their airspace with particular other router models.

This is why I think that some of the criticisms (mostly in other threads) that Apple were irresponsible to not pick this up with their in-house testing are probably not fair. Even if these problems are only down to the router that the iPad is connected to and other router interference plays no part then I would still say that it would be effectively impossible for Apple to fully test against all possible router setups, or even 10% of possible setups. If one wants to throw in the possibility of also testing under conditions of a second interference router then it becomes a problem of staggering complexity. In either case the test space (number of tests that would need to be run) are so huge as to only make it practical to be done via the wider pre-release beta and pre-production GM testing.

- Julian

25. Camazza macrumors newbie

One less unsatisfied iPad user! 4.2GMb is working fine for me now. I don't know exactly what solved the problem, but after I reset my router and change the WiFi channel from auto to "6" (there are a lot of routers nearby, all set to channels like 1 or 2), it works like a charm. 4.2 is super fast, for example the transition from the first home screen to the search box is now silky smooth, while with 3.2.2 there was a bit of stuttering. WiFi performance is excellent as well, i managed to get the same SpeedTest reading with the iPad and with my desktop connected directly to the router via ethernet.