4.2 Software Orientation Lock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfanrutler, Oct 24, 2010.

1. macfanrutler macrumors regular

macfanrutler

Quick question to anyone on 4.2 Beta. Since the orientation lock has now been made a software switch, will the orientation lock on the iPhone now be for portrait and landscape or does it remain a portrait orientation lock?

2. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

So far, that hasn't changed as of beta 3. Portrait only.

3. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Really? It doesn't lock landscape mode? Hm...

It'd be like one line of code for Apple to fix, so hopefully it'll make it into the final version.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's not a coding issue. It's how they want it to work. Honestly, I have yet to want it locked in landscape but I can see where someone would.

Also, I don't think you'll ever see it lock in landscape simply because the iPhone home screen is portrait only. That wouldn't be intuitive to the average user.

5. macfanrutler thread starter macrumors regular

macfanrutler

I guess the follow up now is; if it is only a portrait orientation lock on the iPhone, what is it on the iPad. I don't care if the iPhone is only portrait but if they do that to the iPad I will be a little miffed. I just don't see why they would be so insistent about making one OS for all devices, then make them work differently.

6. cirial macrumors regular

iPad can lock in landscape or portrait, however the home screen on iPad switches for landscape unlike iPhone.