4.2 update disappointment on 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by countryproduce, Nov 23, 2010.

1. countryproduce macrumors newbie

I downloaded the update yesterday only to realise that compared to the update that friends got on iphone 4 i'm missing loads of message tones and am unable to use the mobileme locate my iphone.

What a shame, so us 3GS users have to carry on with limited message tones!
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

lol, comments like this is why i read MacRumors!

3. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Haha, that was a good laugh.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You're not missing anything with the SMS tones - they're complete garbage!
    You can use find my iPhone on a 3GS: You just have to be a MobileMe subscriber

5. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Just find a friend with a iPhone 4, create your free account there and then you can use Free Find my iPhone on your 3GS, I did that yesterday with my wife's 3GS.

6. countryproduce thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks, I find the fact that we are unable to customise the message tones really annoying, there are so many iphones about as soon as someone receives a message 20 people get their phones out to check. every other mobile manufacturer has this feature. ok so its not life or death but apple just seem to miss the mark, if only by a little!

niggles:
    1. customisable message tones
    2. flash player (get it sorted)

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It's not so much the tones or free Find My iPhone

The great thing with smartphones is they can be updated with new features (hardware permitting). It's sad to think a company is artificially putting a limit on what features on a device that isn't new but currently selling (I got a 3GS at the Apple Store last week).

I knew when I got my 3GS I would forgo anything to do with HD video, Facetime, faster CPU/RAM, etc... but tones/Find My iPhone have nothing to do with those.

I hate think what limits they put on iOS 5.

8. countryproduce thread starter macrumors newbie

Ditto!!!

Thats really what I should have said!

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Flash player is sorted - it won't be coming to iOS.
    If flash is vitally important to you then I think iOS isn't the way to go: Rightly or wrongly, Steve Jobs has made his decision and I think it very unlikely that he will change his mind on this one

10. countryproduce thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok but he really is limiting the flexibility of his product, lots of web sites use it!
    and the iphone is a mobile web browser!!

11. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Psst.....jailbreak your phone....phone..phone..phone.....

/helpful ghost

12. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

You should sue Steve...

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

You want flash go get android

14. countryproduce thread starter macrumors newbie

I notice "jailbroken iphone 4" not happy with the product as was ehh?

well theres a thing........

I feel the iphone is a great product but has been limited, thats a shame it feels like its being done to increase apple's profit!

So we can either jailbreak it and risk damage or complain and hope for change.

Lets hope, a few very small changes and i'm sure an increase in profit would follow it would be unstoppable if the niggles were ironed out.

15. mikepro macrumors 6502

Agree a million %. Total BS to artificially limit features on the 3GS, a model that is still for sale. I mean, come on, give us the HDR upgrade, find my iPhone features too. I love my iPhone and Mac, but am really starting to get pissed off at Apple's attitude of trying to milk every cent out of you, and create this constant need to upgrade.

16. daftpunk329 macrumors newbie

this method works like a charm. Thanks, JCCL. :D

17. countryproduce thread starter macrumors newbie

I Agree,

lets face it apple products are very good but like i said they just, and only just miss the mark, i'm a mac fan I have a macbook and iphone. In-fact i'll go as far as saying using OTHER operating systems drives me mad at their short comings compared to mac.

So I say come on Steve, let your great products shine even more and they'll clean up.

18. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

You know your old hardware can't handle the length of the new SMS tones anyway.

19. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Ha, those tones are a complete joke!!

20. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Yea I know evil corporate America strikes again ! I have been using 4.2 since its was originally released in Beta and I have know about how the 3GS owners would be getting the shaft on missed features and enhancements (I am One Of Them) but unfortunately I am under NDA and cannot speak about the Beta's while they are in development. This is another instance of greedy corporate America leveraging you to buy the Current Model iphone, personally I could care less about APPLE'S Loony Tunes On Acid SMS text tones because well they suck but that aint really the point now is it? Lets talk about something of real relevance like no "FREE" Find My iPhone for 3GS owners WTF is up with that?

21. Amino Man macrumors 6502

You need an A4 processor and at least 512MB of RAM to play the rest of the tones so that's OBVIOUSLY why Apple didn't include them on the iPhone 3GS. It's last year's iPhone and it's too slow for this year's tones.

Also, Find My iPhone doesn't work on the iPhone 3GS because the iPhone 3GS has a plastic housing which degrades the "Find My iPhone" feature. With the curved back, the GPS signal isn't as accurate and the phone can't be found reliably.

That is all.

22. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

Dude you have absolutely No Idea what you are talking about!

Wow! where do you get your knowledge from? A4 Processor to play a Ringtone? If that were the case then my phone would not play music and the phone would not ring. Find my iPhone works just fine for the past year on my iPhone 3GS via my MobileMe account and my GPS Signal and GPS Feature works A-OK as well I use it everyday for getting to new customers houses and places of Business for my onsite computer repair business that I own and it has not let me down or not worked once the whole time I have owned my 3GS.

I dont like making people look bad or feel bad on the internet or in general but man you just don't have a clue and i'm afraid I couldn't sell you one even if you wanted to buy one. Sorry in advance, but man educate yourself before you speak!

23. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Pssst...I think he was being sarcastic. I didn't really read your post so if you were being sarcastic, I apologize.

24. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Yea..... He wasn't....