4.2GM vs 4.2GMb - what's new?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ciclismo, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

As some of you will be installing the second GM to test drive, I thought it a good idea to start a thread where you can post your experiences - for example if you had WiFi issues with the first GM, has the second resolved it? Any performance increases? New problems? etc. etc.

2. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

The wifi problem seems to have disappeared. Other than that the only possible difference I saw was better folder animations for when they open and close. Not as glitchy with them now and they are much smoother when transitioning.

3. rikbrown macrumors regular

I could swear the animation of your icons appearing when you unlock has changed slightly. Like, they ease in a it more now. Am I imagining it?

4. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I'd guess it was the minutest of bugfixes, the main one being sorting out the wifi problems.

Since 4.2GM works just dandy for me, I'll be sticking with it till final release.

At which point, iTunes will prompt me to update, since it will recognise a (slightly) different build? Can anyone confirm this from experience?

5. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

For my in the past with my iphone, when installing a GM i have always had to manually upgrade to the public release version

6. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Well, normally GM is the public release version (so you actually didn't need to do the manual install).

I'm wondering whether, since in this case there's been a minor 'b' tweak, iTunes will identify the final release as a new version.

7. lozpop macrumors 6502

I think it only fixes the WiFi issue. In fact GM 2 8C134b has been released only for iPad, not for iPhone and iPod touch.

I hope this is a sort of speedy final fix before the official launch.

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It depends. Most likely the final build will be the same as this GM and in that case you don't need to update.

9. newdeal macrumors 68020

I installed it, it's ok but I miss my jailbreak

10. backbraker25 macrumors member

I just installed the GM 4.2 (b) on my iPad however I'm not seeing any Airplay functionality. I should mentioned that i don't have an Apple TV, is it required for the feature to be present?

11. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

The Airplay icon only appears if there is an Apple TV available. Or maybe an Airport Express, I don't know for sure as I don't have one of them.

12. backbraker25 macrumors member

... make sense to me given i have neither.

13. Ciclismo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

The Airplay icon only show when there is an Airplay compatible device within range - be it an Apple TV or one of the (currently very few) Airplay speakers.

14. Pinger macrumors regular

Updated from iOS 4.2GM to iOS4.2GM B today and haven't noticed anything different..

15. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

The animation for opening and closing folders seems to be a lot laggier than in Beta 3. Also apps seem to skip the animation all together at times. :(

16. Angel841 macrumors newbie

In my house network my ipad connects fine and automatic. The problem comes when using my iphone in mywi. When I put the ipad to sleep it disconnect. And I have to connect manually every time. Everything work flawlessly except connecting from iphone.

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can also use Airplay to speakers attached to airport express. The original and N versions both work