4+2ram VS 2+2ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robbiluo, Dec 13, 2010.

1. robbiluo macrumors newbie

my mbp is only support 6G memory(I asked two days ago)
    so...I want to upgrade the memory,and I have some questions,I want to replace one of the 2G ram,and I will lose the dual.I don't know which works better,4+2ram or 2+2ram.
    My major work in mbp is ps,imovie,and sometimes use windows in PD.

2. simsaladimbamba

The Dual Channel speed gain using two 2GB sticks or two 4GB sticks is marginal (10-15 %) and you will gain more "performance" having 6GB (2GB of 4GB), especially with a VM.

Btw, the "G" is only short for "Giga" (and of course other abbreviated words), thus you have to add the "Byte" via "B" to properly convey your intentions.

3. robbiluo thread starter macrumors newbie

thank u,en....My english is so poor....
    so,if I upgrade to 6GB,It can work better than 4GB

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, it will work better, as you have more "room to put documents and applications" into.
    Just out of curiosity, do you speak/write Cantonese or Mandarin? If so, do you use commas in that language or punctuation?

5. robbiluo thread starter macrumors newbie

actually,I speak Chinese,there is so little bbs about mac,and I found here in google....

6. simsaladimbamba

I though "Chinese" was a language family consisting of several languages, but it seems, Mandarin and Cantonese and all the others are seen as dialects. Anyway, do use commas and punctuation in Chinese?

7. coollai macrumors newbie

In Chinese, we do have punctuations like comma, full stop as well.

8. robbiluo thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course,I use punctuation in Chinese.Mandarin is the official language in China,and the Mandarin and Cantonese are the dialects.

9. bniu macrumors 6502a

and yet you'd be surprised how many people in china can't speak Mandarin. My relatives speak another dialect that sounds somewhat like Mandarin, requiring me to have my parents with me to translate sometimes. It's kind of ironic that I as an American can speak better Mandarin than some of my relatives.

anyways, back on topic, 4+2 is better than 2+2 anyday. Does your system accept 4+4 though? that'd give you dual channel, the system would then simply ignore that last two gigs of RAM available. It'd be essentially 3+3 dual channel.

10. Charliekid21 macrumors regular

If yours is the unibody 2.4 then you actually can use 8gb. Just boot your computer in 64 if you don't have conflicting apps.

11. robbiluo thread starter macrumors newbie

hehe~~~I can speak many of the Chinese dialects also,and some of the dialects sounds like the foreign language.
    The maximum memory my mbp can support is 4G in official.Does the system be unstability if I use 4+4 RAM in it??

12. robbiluo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes,my unibody is 2.4,but I find that can't support 8gb,only the 2.6 can support 8gb. If I use 4+4,Could there be a possibility that the system consider the "4+4ram" as "3+3ram" or "4+2ram" ...so poor English,thanks for reading it.

13. stark4 macrumors 6502

14. robbiluo thread starter macrumors newbie

yes,late 2008,mbp470~~~

15. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your MBP can only take 6GB, then adding 2x4GB RAM modules would be SLIGHTLY better than 1x4GB+1x2GB because although only 6GB will be used, it should benefit from the dual channel speed. Not really sure whether that slight increase is worth buying another 4GB module though. Anyway, that's what I read somewhere, not 100% sure but just thought I'd let you know :)

16. robbiluo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, but I want to know does the system will work instability if I use 4GB+4GB RAM? Because my mbp does't support 8GB RAM.

17. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

As far as I know, using 2x4GB should function normally, and simply use 6GB of the available 8GB, nothing should be unstable.

18. robbiluo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot:)
    I ask the problem in many forums of China,but I get very little useful information,Thanks the MacRumors and the friends here very very much!!

19. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

No worries, we're all here to help :)