4.3.1 + 3gs = brick?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sparky777, Mar 31, 2011.

1. sparky777 macrumors newbie

Nice-

Installed 4.3.1 yesterday. The phone immediately started rebooting during phone calls and the battery didn't seem to want to charge. So - I did a reboot and restore. During the restore I get an error 29. Of coarse now my phone is bricked (telling me to plug into itunes). What a joke. Anyone have a solution out there.

2. Inkllicious macrumors regular

Depends. Can it "Restore" it, then it complains after? Or does it not even attempt to try?

If it complains afterwards just kick it out of recovery..

3. sparky777 thread starter macrumors newbie

The phone never gets through a full restore before throwing error 29. Now when turning on it just shows to connect to itunes. Ridiculous. May have to visit the genius bar tomorrow.

4. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Sounds to me like you somehow got stuck in recovery mode.

If you're willing to try this out, there's a great app called Recboot that can be found at http://jaxov.com/2010/05/recboot-iphone-recovery-mode/

This allows you to enter and exit recovery mode with the click of a button. Try downloading it and clicking "Exit recovery mode" and see if that gets you back up and running. You might want to restore after that to fix the problems you've been having. Let me know if this works for you!

5. sparky777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me know if this works for you!

Didn't work - but thanks.

6. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

That's very strange. It's never not worked for me before. That's my escape when I mess my phone up too bad XD

I would certainly take that into an Apple store as soon as possible.

7. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

something like that happened to my friend after he accidentally pulled out the usb cord while updating his iphone. had to get it replaced.

8. err404, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

err404 macrumors 68020

If you have access to another machine, kick the phone into DFU mode and try it from there.

BTW - This error seems to be be frequently associated with battery issues. Has your battery ever been replaced?

9. sparky777 thread starter macrumors newbie

The battery has never been replaced. I've read that the problem has to do with the battery connection.

Anyway - took my way out of warranty phone to the genius bar - they had the same problem I did. I ended up with a new 3GS 16gb for $99 with no change in contract status. Still chaps my a$$. I actually had to haggle to get that deal.

10. Inkllicious macrumors regular

I was charged 149$ for my 3G 16GB Replacement a few years ago :l