4.3.1 tethering without CommCenter patch

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sorenjorvang, Apr 5, 2011.

1. sorenjorvang, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011

sorenjorvang macrumors newbie

With the 4.3.1 jailbreak out now, I thought I'd try to see if I could enable tethering on a carrier for which the stock 4.3.1 carrier bundle does not allow tethering and therefore also not the new wifi hotspot functionality.

While there are binary patches for CommCenter that will disable the signature check on carrier bundles so a custom one can be used, that patch has not yet been updated for 4.3.1 and I couldn't be bothered to do it myself.

However, it turns out that this can be done without patching CommCenter simply by falling back to the Unknown carrier bundle, which does not restrict tethering. This method also has the advantage of not needing Cydia to be installed.

Here's how:

1. You must be running jailbroken 4.3.1. redsn0w_mac_0.9.6rc9.zip works well. Cydia installation can be safely unchecked if you won't be needing it for anything else.

2. Make some random change to the "Cellular Data" APN settings. It may have to be a valid APN other than the default one for the carrier, but I suspect a change just has to be made to cause a user copy of the stock carrier bundle to be made.

3. Using a tool such as iPhone Explorer (remember to enable access to the phone's "real" root filesystem in the application's preferences), delete the following directories on the phone, substituting the name and network id of the carrier bundle matching your SIM.
    Code:
    /private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundles         (updated bundles via iTunes)
    /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/12345        (symlink to Foo_xy.bundle)
    /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/Foo_xy.bundle

4. Insert a SIM card from a different operator, wait a little while and then put back the card you want to use. You should then be able to turn on the Personal Hotspot function after entering the APN configuration data. If you don't have another SIM card, you can instead reset all network settings on the phone in the General/Reset menu. This will also delete all WiFi/VPN passwords, however.

5. Unfortunately, iTunes will from now on keep asking if you want to install updates to the carrier bundles and there is no obvious way to answer "no and never". This hack will at least protect against accidentally accepting the update:
    Code:
    chmod 0 ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone\ Carrier\ Support

2. Fanfwe macrumors newbie

Hi.
    Thank you for sharing this :) I upgraded to 4.3.1 today and I managed to use the connection sharing thanks to your method.

However there's a few "issues" :
    - First, iTunes doesn't propose me to update the carrier bundle when I connect my iPhone. This can look pretty good, so I don't risk to put it back by mistake, but actually, it also prevents me from being able to put it back in case I need it in the future. But no big deal.
    - I have entered all the APN settings manually through the Cellular Data settings utility. But unfortunately, each time I restart my iPhone, they get lost. So I have to enter them again. Also, the network sharing item in the settings page doesn't show up when I have entered them, so I have to enable the connection sharing through a SBSettings toggle at first, then the standard Connection Sharing item appears in the settings page, and everything works like a charm...until next reboot...

Do you also experience these issues ?

A patch to CommCenter would clearly be the right way for doing this, anyway. I hope they will release one soon.

Thank's for your post, at least I can use my phone as a modem, even though I need some manual reconfiguration each time I reboot it. This will be fine for a short while I think.

3. sorenjorvang thread starter macrumors newbie

That carrier bundle update mechanism is only for changes made by the providers after an IOS release, not restoring the ones included with IOS.

That doesn't happen for me. I see that you use Cydia, which I don't, but I have no idea if that might be related.

That appears to have been done now. See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=984943.

I still rather like my simple method, though :)

4. sorenjorvang thread starter macrumors newbie